Why do sugars have higher boiling points than water?

In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting chemistry experiment involving boiling soda and observing the water rise while the sugars remain at the bottom due to their higher boiling points. The accuracy of this scientific reasoning is questioned, as well as the reason behind sugars having higher boiling points than water. The individual's lack of knowledge in chemistry is also mentioned.
Apogee
I recently heard about an interesting chemistry experiment I have yet to try. It involves boiling soda and watching the water rise and the sugars remain at the bottom of the pot. The reason being is sugars have higher boiling points than water. Thus, the water boils first, heats up, and rises to the top of the pot while the sugars stay on the bottom.

First, I was wondering if this scientific reasoning is accurate. Secondly, I was wondering why sugars would have higher boiling points than water. What about their structure, or better yet the structure of water, compels sugars to boil at a higher temperature than water? I do apologize, for my chemistry is a bit weak hahaha.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Please elaborate - is sugar not dissolved and just staying at the bottom? If so, fact that they stay at the bottom has nothing to do with its boiling point, it is mostly about the solid density.

1. What is the boiling point of sugars?

The boiling point of sugars varies depending on the specific type of sugar. However, on average, the boiling point of most sugars ranges from 320-365 degrees Fahrenheit (160-185 degrees Celsius).

2. Why do some sugars have higher boiling points than others?

The boiling point of a sugar is influenced by its molecular structure. Sugars with longer, more complex molecular chains tend to have higher boiling points because they require more energy to break apart and reach a liquid state.

3. Does the concentration of sugar affect its boiling point?

Yes, the concentration of sugar in a solution can affect its boiling point. When sugar is dissolved in water, it raises the boiling point of the water due to the added particles and increased concentration.

4. How does altitude affect the boiling point of sugars?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases, causing the boiling point of water (and other substances) to decrease as well. This means that at higher altitudes, the boiling point of sugars will also be lower.

5. Can the boiling point of sugars be used to identify different types of sugars?

No, the boiling point of sugars is not a reliable method of identifying different types of sugars. Other factors, such as taste and molecular structure, are more accurate indicators of different types of sugars.