Limiting Proof: Showing f(v+tej) = b as t→0

• Thread starter Strangelurker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Proof
In summary: I can't articulate my thoughts into a formal proof)In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving limits and the concept of continuity. The problem states that if the limit of f(x) as x approaches v is equal to b, then the limit of f(v+te_j) as t approaches 0 should also equal b. The participants discuss using the epsilon/delta argument to prove this statement and the concept of continuity is brought up. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the standard basis vector e_j is implied by the notation and that the limit can be proven without assuming continuity.
Strangelurker

Homework Statement

The problem is if the limit of f(x) as x---> v = b, then show the limit of f(v+ tej) = b as t->0, should read e subscript j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you just say that as t-->0, te(subscript j) goes to 0 so by using epsilon/delta argument lim f(v) = b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Questions:

1. What does the assumed limit tell you?
2. By your logic f(lim t-> 0 v+te_j) = lim t->0 f(v+te_j)=b. Is this true? Why?
3. What mathematical concept are we secretly talking about?

I can only say that intuitive arguments are rarely considered as proofs.

1. Besides the epsilon/delta definition? That if x_n --> v, then f(x_n)--> v?
2. This would be true if we had continuity right? The problem does not say so therefore I'm guessing that's not it. I don't know why I'm getting so stuck/frustrated with this problem... the te_j for j= 1,2,...,n is the standard basis for R^n right?, I guess what I'm mostly trying to ask is that I don't really understand what the f(v+te_j) means (or for that matter taking its limit as t-->0)

You're just taking limits in R^n or whatever.

What is the definition for f being continuous at v?
Is f continuous at v?

So does that mean you can slip in the limit?

One equivalent def. for f being continuous at v is if lim x-->v of f(x) = f(v), I don't see how we could assume continuity without an explicit function or more information...
So basically we have the vector v + the standard basis in R^whatever with a t multiplying the standard basis. As t gets sent to zero we are basically adding nothing to v and taking f(v), I know this last sentence if very sloppy but this is where my logic or lack thereof gets stuck

Strangelurker said:
One equivalent def. for f being continuous at v is if lim x-->v of f(x) = f(v), I don't see how we could assume continuity without an explicit function or more information...
So basically we have the vector v + the standard basis in R^whatever with a t multiplying the standard basis. As t gets sent to zero we are basically adding nothing to v and taking f(v), I know this last sentence if very sloppy but this is where my logic or lack thereof gets stuck

Yeah, that's sloppy. You want to prove lim t->0 of v+t*e_j is v. Do epsilons and deltas. For all epsilon>0, there exists a delta>0 such that |v-(v+t*e_j)|<epsilon if |t|<delta. The relation between epsilon and delta is so painfully obvious, I can't continue. Please help me.

So I have that part, that epsilon = delta works for if |t|< delta then |te_j|<epsilon, so the lim as t--> 0 of (v+te_j) = v, so then the lim t-->0 of f(v+te_j)=f(v)? We know that we can choose N s.t. |x-v|<epsilon for all n>=N, but I don't know how to get this part into the f(v+te_j), I know we can get x as close to v as we want, and that te_j will be as small as we want by choosing a t_ne_j, but don't know what to do, sorry if I seem thick this is why I came on here to ask a question was because I am absolutely stuck and need help(it's my first intro to analysis class)

Strangelurker said:
So I have that part, that epsilon = delta works for if |t|< delta then |te_j|<epsilon, so the lim as t--> 0 of (v+te_j) = v, so then the lim t-->0 of f(v+te_j)=f(v)? We know that we can choose N s.t. |x-v|<epsilon for all n>=N, but I don't know how to get this part into the f(v+te_j), I know we can get x as close to v as we want, and that te_j will be as small as we want by choosing a t_ne_j, but don't know what to do, sorry if I seem thick this is why I came on here to ask a question was because I am absolutely stuck and need help(it's my first intro to analysis class)

It looks to me like e_j is just supposed to be one of the usual basis vectors for R^n. So |e_j|=1, yes? What's |t*e_j|? I think you are making this harder than it is. There's no 'n' in the limit problem.

Strangelurker said:
There is no reason to believe that f is continuous here. That is not given, nor is it necessary. Also, you don't have to assume that [itex]e_j[/itex] is a basis vector although that is implied by the notation.

If f(x) is any function of a vector argument, continuous at v or not, if [itex]\displaytype \lim_{x\to v} f(x)= b[/itex] implies that [itex]\displaytype\lim_{t\to 0} f(v+ tu)= b[/itex] where u is any fixed vector.

Yes you're right, e_j is just the standard basis for j=1,2,...n for R^n, so |t*e_j| is just |t| then, which --> 0, I can describe it clearly in english as distances, but I just can't get down the answer on paper (I know this is the whole point)

HallsofIvy said:
There is no reason to believe that f is continuous here. That is not given, nor is it necessary. Also, you don't have to assume that [itex]e_j[/itex] is a basis vector although that is implied by the notation.

If f(x) is any function of a vector argument, continuous at v or not, if [itex]\displaytype \lim_{x\to v} f(x)= b[/itex] implies that [itex]\displaytype\lim_{t\to 0} f(v+ tu)= b[/itex] where u is any fixed vector.

How do I show that though?

Strangelurker said:
So I have that part, that epsilon = delta works for if |t|< delta then |te_j|<epsilon, so the lim as t--> 0 of (v+te_j) = v, so then the lim t-->0 of f(v+te_j)=f(v)?

You were already basically done when you said this, then you went off on some kind of a tangent. You showed delta=epsilon works. So you've shown lim as t->0 of v+t*e_j is v. The problem tells you that lim f(x) as x->v is b. Put v+t*e_j in for x.

1. What is the definition of "Limiting Proof"?

Limiting Proof is a method used in mathematics to show that a certain mathematical expression approaches a specific value as a variable approaches a certain limit. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to prove the continuity and convergence of functions.

2. Why is it important to show f(v+tej) = b as t→0?

Showing f(v+tej) = b as t→0 is important because it provides evidence that the function is continuous at a certain point. This is essential in many mathematical proofs and applications, as it verifies that the function behaves as expected and can be used to make accurate predictions and calculations.

3. What is the role of t in the limiting proof?

The variable t is used in the limiting proof to represent the limit that is being approached. It allows us to see how the function behaves as t approaches a certain value, and whether it approaches a specific value or not. It is an essential element in the proof process and helps us to understand the behavior of functions.

4. What is the difference between a limit and a limit point?

A limit is a specific value that a function approaches as a variable approaches a certain value. It is a fixed point that the function gets closer and closer to as the variable gets closer to the specified value. A limit point, on the other hand, is a point in the domain of the function where the value of the function approaches a certain value as the variable approaches it from either side. In other words, a limit point is a point where the function exhibits continuity.

5. How can we prove that f(v+tej) = b as t→0 using the limiting proof?

To prove that f(v+tej) = b as t→0, we can use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This involves choosing a small positive number (epsilon) and finding a corresponding small positive number (delta) such that when t is within delta units of 0, f(v+tej) is within epsilon units of b. This shows that as t approaches 0, f(v+tej) approaches b, proving that f(v+tej) = b as t→0.