Moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere of radius R and mass M about the x-axis. The conversation goes through the process of dividing the sphere into infinitesimal disks and using the standard definition for moment of inertia. There is a discrepancy between the results obtained using two different methods and the conversation seeks clarification on the cause of this difference. The issue has been addressed in a physics forum.
alcoholicsephiroth
This is not a homework question but I figured this was the most appropriate place to post it-

Taking a uniform solid sphere of radius R and mass M, with the centre of mass at the origin, I divided it into infinitesimal disks of thickness dx, and radius y. I need to find the moment of inertia about the x-axis, so taking an arbitrary disk at some horizontal distance x from the centre of mass, I obtain ;

y^2 + x^2 = R^2, (fairly obviously),

density, rho = dm/dV,

dV = (pi)(y^2)dx => dm = (rho)(pi)(y^2)dx

So using the standard definition for moment of inertia :

I = integral of (y^2)dm

I = integral of (y^2)(rho)(pi)(y^2)dx -with x limits R and -R

= (rho)(pi) integral of ((R^2 - x^2)^2) dx

which simplifies down to I = (16/15)(pi)(rho)R^5,

and using M = (4/3)(pi)R^3, I obtain I = (4/5)MR^2.

Of course my textbook is telling me it should be (2/5)MR^2, and as far as my understanding goes, this is a consequence of each infinitesimal disk having a moment of inertia of (1/2)dm(r^2).

Logically then, using dI = (1/2)dm(r^2), such that :

I = integral of (pi)(rho)((R^2 - x^2)^2)dx with x limits R and 0, the answer comes out correctly as (2/5)MR^2.

Unfortunately, I am not a particularly sophisticated mathematician and I am worried that my own method, using I = integral of (y^2)dm as described, is giving me an answer which is out by a factor of 2.

I fear I may have made a trivial mistake, but if not, I'd greatly appreciate some insight as to the cause of the discrepancy.

Many thanks!

Trev

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is denoted by the symbol I and is defined as the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius. This assumes that the axis of rotation passes through the center of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia for a uniform solid sphere?

The moment of inertia for a uniform solid sphere is important in understanding how the sphere will behave when subjected to rotational motion. It is also used in calculations related to rotational energy and angular momentum.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere can change if its mass or radius changes. It can also change if its axis of rotation is altered.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere compare to that of other shapes?

The moment of inertia for a uniform solid sphere is typically higher than that of other shapes with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is more evenly distributed around the axis of rotation, resulting in a greater resistance to rotational motion.