How can I set a frequency in a Wien bridge oscillator

In summary: So you're better off calculating with the nearest higher value, then measuring the actual frequency and adjusting R3 from there.
tburn
Hi all,
Im new here :-)
So I am designing a simple Wien bridge oscillator, and need it to be set to a specific frequency.

This is my circuit:
Untitled2.jpg

Where C1 = C and C2 = C
and R3 = R and R4 = R

Im using ω=1/(C2R2)
where C = my capacitor values and R = my Resistor values.

My problem is, however, how do I get it to equal ω?
Should I just set either C or R to a random value, and then work out the other?

Many thanks,
Tommy

Physics news on Phys.org
tburn said:
Hi all,
So I am designing a simple Wien bridge oscillator, and need it to be set to a specific frequency.

This is my circuit:
Untitled2.jpg

Where C1 = C and C2 = C
and R3 = R and R4 = R

Im using ω=1/(C2R2)

My problem is, however, how do I get it to equal ω?
Should I just set either C or R to a random value, and then work out the other?

Many thanks,
Tommy

Yes, you can do that.

This is where the Theoretical meets the Practical. Yes you could choose a random value for one of the components and then calculate a suitable value for its partner. But in the real world there are practical considerations, too. Things like, are the resulting component values available (are they even manufactured)? Do you you have the component values in stock? How do the component values compare to intrinsic or stray values in the other components? Non-ideal op-amps have finite input impedances and gain, wiring has some resistance, stray capacitance and inductance even if miniscule, and so on.

That said, if your working frequency is reasonably low (not radio frequencies etc.) then I'd suggest choosing a standard capacitor value and seeing what the corresponding resistor value would be. If it's not a practical value, adjust the capacitor value and try again. Rinse and repeat until your component values are reasonable and obtainable.

gneill said:
Yes, you can do that.

This is where the Theoretical meets the Practical. Yes you could choose a random value for one of the components and then calculate a suitable value for its partner. But in the real world there are practical considerations, too. Things like, are the resulting component values available (are they even manufactured)? Do you you have the component values in stock? How do the component values compare to intrinsic or stray values in the other components? Non-ideal op-amps have finite input impedances and gain, wiring has some resistance, stray capacitance and inductance even if miniscule, and so on.

That said, if your working frequency is reasonably low (not radio frequencies etc.) then I'd suggest choosing a standard capacitor value and seeing what the corresponding resistor value would be. If it's not a practical value, adjust the capacitor value and try again. Rinse and repeat until your component values are reasonable and obtainable.

Fantastic. Thanks very much for your answer.

Another practical consideration is that in the circuit diagram you have R3 and C2 in parallel. It would be "nice" if their impedances were roughly equal at the operating frequency. It probably doesn't matter to within a factor of 10, but you wouldn't want the impedance of C2 to be 1000 times bigger or smaller than R3.

Also, if you want an accurate frequency, searching component catalogs will show that close tolerance resistors are available in wider range of "preferred values" than close tolerance capacitors. You can easily get resistor values in the E96 series, but caps are likely to be restricted to E12.

AlephZero said:
if you want an accurate frequency, searching component catalogs will show that close tolerance resistors are available in wider range of "preferred values" than close tolerance capacitors. You can easily get resistor values in the E96 series, but caps are likely to be restricted to E12.

Not much help since as you say cap tolerances are looser and w is a function of RC.

tburn said:
Hi all,

Im using ω=1/(C2R2)

Your formula for w is incorrect.
Aleph's advice would be well taken.

rude man said:
Not much help since as you say cap tolerances are looser and w is a function of RC.

Caps with 1% tolerance are easy to get, but only in a small range of values. The next highest value above 10 is likely to be 12 or 15, not 10.1.

1. How does a Wien bridge oscillator work?

A Wien bridge oscillator uses a combination of resistors, capacitors, and an operational amplifier to generate an oscillating signal at a specific frequency. The resistors and capacitors are arranged in a bridge configuration and the operational amplifier amplifies the output signal, creating a feedback loop that maintains the oscillation.

2. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a Wien bridge oscillator?

The formula for calculating the frequency of a Wien bridge oscillator is:
F = 1/(2πRC),
where F is the frequency in Hertz, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in Farads.

3. How do I choose the right resistor and capacitor values for my desired frequency?

To choose the right resistor and capacitor values for your desired frequency, you can use the formula mentioned above. First, determine the frequency you want and then rearrange the formula to solve for either R or C. Then, select the appropriate values for the resistor and capacitor based on the available options.

4. Can I adjust the frequency of a Wien bridge oscillator?

Yes, the frequency of a Wien bridge oscillator can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors or capacitors in the circuit. However, the values must still follow the formula mentioned above to maintain the desired frequency.

5. Are there any limitations to setting the frequency in a Wien bridge oscillator?

One limitation to setting the frequency in a Wien bridge oscillator is that it can only produce frequencies within a certain range determined by the values of the resistors and capacitors used. Additionally, the output signal may also be affected by external factors such as temperature and power supply voltage.