How can I change the default browser in Outlook Express on Windows XP?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launch
In summary, the conversation is about a technical issue where Outlook Express keeps opening links in Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. The solution is to go to IE Tools, Internet options, and check the box that says IE should check if it is the default browser. The person asking for help prefers using IE for links, but the other person suggests using Firefox for its tabbed browsing feature. However, the first person is used to IE and does not want to switch. Another suggestion is to set the default browser through the program access and defaults option in the start menu.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Grr. This is still bugging me.

Outlook Express insists on launching any links in Firefox rather than IE. I cannot find the switch to change this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Easy fix. Just go to IE Tools, Internet options, programs and check the box that says the IE should check to see if it is the default browser. The next time you click on a link, a dialog box will pop up asking if you want to make IE the default - just say yes, and you'll be set. Just for curiosity's sake, why would you not want links to come up in Firefox? The tabbed browsing is very handy for following related links without losing the original page...

Mm. Did not work.

My default browser *is* IE (if I click on a .HTML link in a folder it will come up in IE), it is just in Outlook that it does this.

I found it in Options :: Connection :: Internet Connection Settings :: Change :: Programs

There's a checkbox that tells IE to check to see whether it's the default. I even logged off and on.

Hm. OK, I'll try rebooting.

"...why would you not want links to come up in Firefox? The tabbed browsing is very handy for following related links without losing the original page..."

Yeah. Much as I despise supporting MS, it's what I'm used to, and the overhead for getting used to FF is just not on my radar right now.

Last edited:
Try- start menu between control panel and connect to on the right hand side of the start menu should be "program access and defaults" set your default browser there

1. What is the default browser in Windows XP?

The default browser in Windows XP is Internet Explorer.

2. How do I change the default browser in Windows XP?

To change the default browser in Windows XP, go to the Control Panel and click on "Internet Options." Under the "Programs" tab, click on the "Set Programs" button and then select the browser you want to set as the default.

3. Why does my default browser keep changing in Windows XP?

In some cases, a program or application may change the default browser in Windows XP without your knowledge. This can also happen when you install a new browser or update your current one. To prevent this, make sure to select the option to "Keep my current default browser" when updating or installing a new browser.

4. Can I have multiple default browsers in Windows XP?

No, Windows XP only allows for one default browser at a time. However, you can have multiple browsers installed on your computer and manually choose which one to use each time you open a link or webpage.

5. How do I know which browser is currently set as the default in Windows XP?

To check which browser is currently set as the default in Windows XP, go to the Control Panel and click on "Internet Options." Under the "Programs" tab, the default browser will be listed under the "Default web browser" section.