So many different flavors of physics

• Thread starter wrongusername
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Well, look at what the degrees entail. An engineering degree would probably mean more work with less physics and your classmates would most likely not be as enthusiastic as you about physics. But it is a safer bet overall since it is a lot easier to change to physics than to engineering later.It depends a bit on how sure you are on what you want. And you can get phd's in engineering too just so you know, it is just that if you want to work outside academia then it would be quite trivial, you can get job with applied physics outside but engineering is a lot safer for that.Thanks for the reply! :biggrin:
wrongusername
So I see that there's engineering, applied physics, and engineering physics majors offered in the colleges I'm applying to (though engineering physics is an option in only 2 of those colleges). I'm all confused and baffled now as to the differences in each major (and Wikipedia helped just a little bit...).

My physics professor says that applied physicists are knowledgeable in more areas than engineers, and can move from field to field instead of staying in, say, mechanics forever. That was all the help he offered, though, and I admit that he is a bit biased.

I would appreciate any help to clear this up for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering physics is quite close to applied, if it is accredited it is probably better to take it if you don't want to do an academic career.

Klockan3 said:
Engineering physics is quite close to applied, if it is accredited it is probably better to take it if you don't want to do an academic career.

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin:

Since I would like to get a Ph D someday, I'm assuming I should go with applied physics instead?

wrongusername said:

Since I would like to get a Ph D someday, I'm assuming I should go with applied physics instead?
Well, look at what the degrees entail. An engineering degree would probably mean more work with less physics and your classmates would most likely not be as enthusiastic as you about physics. But it is a safer bet overall since it is a lot easier to change to physics than to engineering later.

It depends a bit on how sure you are on what you want. And you can get phd's in engineering too just so you know, it is just that if you want to work outside academia then it would be quite trivial, you can get job with applied physics outside but engineering is a lot safer for that.

wrongusername said:

If one wants to do graduate work then they should probably look for straight "physics". You can always specialize in an applied field in grad school but your best chances for an undergrad is with the standard bread and butter physics degree.

1. What are the different branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics deals with creating and testing mathematical models to understand the fundamental principles of the universe. Experimental physics involves conducting experiments to gather data and test the predictions made by theoretical models.

3. How does physics impact our everyday lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use, such as smartphones and cars, to natural phenomena like weather patterns and the behavior of the universe.

4. Can you give examples of interdisciplinary fields that incorporate physics?

Some examples of interdisciplinary fields that incorporate physics are astrophysics, biophysics, geophysics, and materials science.

5. What are some current topics in the field of physics?

Some current topics in physics include dark matter and dark energy, quantum computing, gravitational waves, and nanotechnology.