Math or physics class recommendation?

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate with a BS in chemistry who has applied to PhD programs for next fall and is currently working a part-time chemistry-related job. They are considering auditing an upper-level math or physics class before starting graduate school and are seeking suggestions on what type of class to take. They have a math minor with knowledge in calculus, discrete math, and linear algebra and are interested in learning about differential equations and Fourier analysis. They have been advised not to spend money on a class for just these topics and have been recommended to buy a book on mathematical methods instead. They have mentioned specific books they plan to check out from the library.
-DB
This is sort of a two part question, so bear with me.

I just recently graduated with a BS in chemistry, and I applied to a couple PhD programs for next fall (I deliberately waited until after graduating to apply to graduate school for a number of reasons!). I'm working a part time job right now (chemistry related) which I very much enjoy, but I'm not entirely sure how long it will last.

Anyways, this spring I was thinking of seeing if I could sit in or audit some kind of upper level math or physics class, just so I could pick up a few things before I start graduate school (assuming I get in somewhere!). I was wondering if any of you have suggestions as to what kind of class I should take. I'm probably going to do physical chemistry in graduate school. Also, I graduated with a math minor, so I have 3 semesters of calculus, discrete math, and linear algebra under my belt. I'm thinking of maybe looking into a class where I could learn some things about say, for example, differential equations, or Fourier analysis.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your math is probably OK for the time being. For a physics class, I would recommend a good "Modern (20th century) Physics" class if you haven't had one already. If you have had such a class, then I would recommend an intro to quantum mechanics course.

-DB said:
This is sort of a two part question, so bear with me.

I just recently graduated with a BS in chemistry, and I applied to a couple PhD programs for next fall (I deliberately waited until after graduating to apply to graduate school for a number of reasons!). I'm working a part time job right now (chemistry related) which I very much enjoy, but I'm not entirely sure how long it will last.

Anyways, this spring I was thinking of seeing if I could sit in or audit some kind of upper level math or physics class, just so I could pick up a few things before I start graduate school (assuming I get in somewhere!). I was wondering if any of you have suggestions as to what kind of class I should take. I'm probably going to do physical chemistry in graduate school. Also, I graduated with a math minor, so I have 3 semesters of calculus, discrete math, and linear algebra under my belt. I'm thinking of maybe looking into a class where I could learn some things about say, for example, differential equations, or Fourier analysis.

Any suggestions?

I guess you should have learned DE and Fourier Analysis during your BS degree. Personnally I won't advise you to waste your money if you want to learn just DE and Fourier Analysis. Why not just buy Mathematical Methods for Sicentists and Engineers? It may help.

kuruman said:
Your math is probably OK for the time being. For a physics class, I would recommend a good "Modern (20th century) Physics" class if you haven't had one already. If you have had such a class, then I would recommend an intro to quantum mechanics course.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I think I might also check out the advanced electricity and magnetism class that my school offers. I might be able to just ask the professor if i could sit in on a few lectures every now and then - I've done that in the past without any problems.

mccoy1 said:
I guess you should have learned DE and Fourier Analysis during your BS degree. Personnally I won't advise you to waste your money if you want to learn just DE and Fourier Analysis. Why not just buy Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers? It may help.

Yeah, I kind of thought it was a little odd that I never had to take a DE class. I'll check out that book. Who is/are the author(s)?

I have mathematical methods for scientists and Engineers( assumed knowledge here and there though) by McQuarie, Which I like. My brother has Mathematical methods in Physical Sciences by Mary Boa...it's quite good as well. You may find it useful to go to your school library/or nearby lib and borrow one or both of those books and go through them and decide if they offer the mathematical tecniques rigor you need.
I also have Chemistry maths book by Erich Steiner on the shelf here (..no assumed knowledge and quite good for undergraduates).It covers DEs, Fourier Analysis,Orthoganal matrices, symmetry(Group theory) etc. You may check it out as well.
Cheers.

Related to Math or physics class recommendation?

1. What is the difference between a math and physics class?

Math and physics classes both involve problem solving and critical thinking, but they focus on different aspects of the natural world. Math is primarily concerned with abstract concepts and numbers, while physics is the study of the physical laws that govern the universe.

2. Which class should I take first, math or physics?

It is generally recommended to take math classes before physics classes. This is because physics relies heavily on mathematical concepts and equations. Having a strong foundation in math will make it easier to understand and apply these concepts in physics.

3. How much math is involved in a physics class?

Math is an integral part of physics and is used to describe and solve problems related to the physical world. You will need to have a strong grasp of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to be successful in a physics class.

4. Can I take both math and physics classes at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to take both math and physics classes concurrently. However, it is important to consider your workload and make sure you have enough time to dedicate to both subjects. It is also recommended to take math and physics classes that complement each other, such as calculus and mechanics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking a math or physics class?

Yes, there are typically prerequisites for higher level math and physics classes. These prerequisites may vary depending on your school or program, but they often include basic algebra and geometry, as well as introductory level math and physics classes. It is important to check with your school or advisor to ensure you meet the necessary requirements before enrolling in a class.