Do Physics majors watch reality tv?

In summary, people with a scientific background and higher education enjoy reality TV shows, but one should not expect them to have a deep understanding of the content.
Yayfordoritos
I know why I don't watch them cause they're crap, and I don't get the point of being famous for having no talent, but just curious if people with scientific backgrounds and higher education enjoy them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about Physics majors, but at least one engineer watches Parking Wars. It's kind of fun watching people get parking tickets, have their cars booted and towed, and try to get their car out of the impound lot. It's a little like watching people have strips of flesh ripped off their body, but without the blood and gore.

My wife and I both have degrees in physics. We don't have a TV, and we don't watch reality TV.

I was a math major and I don't watch reality TV. I therefor conclude that physics majors watch reality TV.

I have no interest in watching idiots who are on tv just because they're famous (typically most BIG network reality shows) but I watch a lot of reality beyond those on big networks. Human drama can be hilarious at times.

Last edited:
I should have said all science and math majors not just physics.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I was a math major and I don't watch reality TV. I therefor conclude that physics majors watch reality TV.

It's not a serious topic. I was just having a hard time picturing a bunch of scientist or engineers or mathematicians hanging out and discussing Keeping up with the Kardashians, but I didn't want to generalize so I figured i'd ask.

reality TV shows are painful at best

not to mention I don't have any time to sit around on the couch for hours

I don't own a TV, and I don't miss it.

lisab said:
I don't own a TV, and I don't miss it.

Just as i wrote that a car going by honked its horn (that's exceedingly rare out here). I looked up in time to see a deer jumping over the fence into my yard - it came pretty close to being road kill.

Now that's reality!

My wife (who has a PhD in German) and I (physics) don't have the opportunity to watch many reality shows because we don't have cable or satellite TV, just a terrestrial antenna on our roof. From what we've read about them, it's just as well. We do watch one faithfully, "The Amazing Race." We enjoy traveling, so we like the glimpses of scenery and local life that we get between the scenes in airports and the back seats of cabs.

Some of the tasks that the contestants have to do are pretty offbeat. Until last Sunday's episode in Shanghai, we never knew that frog Fallopian tubes are a delicacy!

jtbell said:
My wife (who has a PhD in German) and I (physics) don't have the opportunity to watch many reality shows because we don't have cable or satellite TV, just a terrestrial antenna on our roof. From what we've read about them, it's just as well. We do watch one faithfully, "The Amazing Race." We enjoy traveling, so we like the glimpses of scenery and local life that we get between the scenes in airports and the back seats of cabs.

Some of the tasks that the contestants have to do are pretty offbeat. Until last Sunday's episode in Shanghai, we never knew that frog Fallopian tubes are a delicacy!
Amazing Race is one of the few shows I watch, at least it includes a lot of information about local cultures worldwide.

I am a math major and I am a HUGE Jerry Springer fan. No matter how bad your life is, at least you've never been on the Jerry Springer show.

Yayfordoritos said:
I know why I don't watch them cause they're crap, and I don't get the point of being famous for having no talent, but just curious if people with scientific backgrounds and higher education enjoy them?
Having higher education does not mean that people share likes or dislikes. I know many well educated people who love reality TV, I know people who hate it and I know people who like some but not others. People are diverse, very diverse!

I don't see the relation between education and watching reality TV. For me, I find watching them unbearable. Having said that I like Dave Lambs sarcastic commentary on Come Dine With Me (U.K.).

I've never watched one even once.

I don't have a TV. I'm happy to see by other posts that I'm not unique.

I like few of them. The rest I can't stand at all.
I do watch "the Amazing race". It is pretty entertaining and makes me add some of the places they visited to my travel list.
I'm also a secret fan of survivor. It gets annoying sometimes but if for nothing else I would watch it because of the pretty locations.

Yayfordoritos said:
I suppose the answer depends on what one means by 'reality' TV. If it means shows about dysfunctional celebrities, or folks performing ridiculous stunts, then probably and hopefully no.

If it means programs like PBS's NOVA, or back in the day, CBS's 21st Century (sponsored by Union Carbide, renamed from The 20th Century), then perhaps some physics and science majors watch it.

In high school, I'd watch news or movies and do homework. On weekends, I spend a lot of time in either the city library or university library researching military history, pyrotechnics and high explosives, astrophysics, and plasma, nuclear and particle physics - and the occasional foray into political history, moral philosophy and religious studies - particular eastern religions.

In university, I was too busy to watch TV. In grad school, I would watch the news, and maybe programs like Dr. Who and Star Trek, otherwise, I was doing homework, research or at a full time job.

Professionally, my TV watching is spotty - mostly movies. Otherwise, I'm at PF or doing research.

I'm also a physics major who doesn't have a TV. My own reality is interesting enough usually...

cobalt124 said:
I don't see the relation between education and watching reality TV. For me, I find watching them unbearable. Having said that I like Dave Lambs sarcastic commentary on Come Dine With Me (U.K.).

I don't know it seems like my friends that are really into education look down on reality tv shows and stars, and most of my friends that like to party A LOT are the ones that watch it.

Yayfordoritos said:
I don't know it seems like my friends that are really into education look down on reality tv shows and stars, and most of my friends that like to party A LOT are the ones that watch it.
Everyone's different. Some of the hardest workers I knew at uni were the ones that liked to party hardest and most frequently. They'd also watch endless rubbish on TV for hours at night. Usually this was because they were working so hard and really needed to blow of some steam and do something totally different.

In my experience there are three ways to spend your time as a student: work, leisure, sleep. You can only pick two.

Last edited:
I have an undergrad in physics and I don't watch reality tv, or much programmed tv at all. Youtube, on the other hand...

My wife and I haven't paid for cable/satellite in years. We don't watch much TV, but when we do, it's something we find on Netflix (not reality shows). I'm a math major and my wife majored in women's studies.

Last edited:
Yayfordoritos said:

Where does such curiosity come from? Why do you care about what one's interests are in his/her past time?

I watch survivor if that counts. It is no where near "crap".

There are different flavors of reality TV. I like and watch, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration as well as Counting Cars (not sure of the name) . Should make it clear that I watch them when the wife let's me turn it off of Ru Paul. I really do not know what time or day the shows are on, but if I am looking through the 50 or so channels of garbage for something, ANYTHING they are where I will stop.

Astronuc said:
I suppose the answer depends on what one means by 'reality' TV. If it means shows about dysfunctional celebrities, or folks performing ridiculous stunts, then probably and hopefully no.

If it means programs like PBS's NOVA, or back in the day, CBS's 21st Century (sponsored by Union Carbide, renamed from The 20th Century), then perhaps some physics and science majors watch it.

In high school, I'd watch news or movies and do homework. On weekends, I spend a lot of time in either the city library or university library researching military history, pyrotechnics and high explosives, astrophysics, and plasma, nuclear and particle physics - and the occasional foray into political history, moral philosophy and religious studies - particular eastern religions.

In university, I was too busy to watch TV. In grad school, I would watch the news, and maybe programs like Dr. Who and Star Trek, otherwise, I was doing homework, research or at a full time job.

Professionally, my TV watching is spotty - mostly movies. Otherwise, I'm at PF or doing research.

Hm, I didn't do quite what you did but my early life was a bit similar (middle-High School).

I just wanted to address the first statement though, why? Why would you hope not?

I don't know it seems like my friends that are really into education look down on reality tv shows and stars

I find those looking down on others over trivial matters unwise. But then again, I am also foolish. Hopefully I will be wiser as I get older. Surely, I've undergone a LOT of growth emotionally over the years, but I can still be a bit of a pain in the *** as I am still a bit confrontational/aggressive.

But my main remark here has a lot to do with if you cannot justify, reasonably, why you "look down on others" for certain actions, it is child-like. It comes off as, "they don't do what I do, so I don't like them", or, "they don't like what I like, I don't like it", and, "why don't they think in terms of what I think like?" It's just silly to think in such manners which is why I find it unwise.

Mentalist said:
Hm, I didn't do quite what you did but my early life was a bit similar (middle-High School).

I just wanted to address the first statement though, why? Why would you hope not?

I find those looking down on others over trivial matters unwise. But then again, I am also foolish. Hopefully I will be wiser as I get older. Surely, I've undergone a LOT of growth emotionally over the years, but I can still be a bit of a pain in the *** as I am still a bit confrontational/aggressive.

But my main remark here has a lot to do with if you cannot justify, reasonably, why you "look down on others" for certain actions, it is child-like. It comes off as, "they don't do what I do, so I don't like them", or, "they don't like what I like, I don't like it", and, "why don't they think in terms of what I think like?" It's just silly to think in such manners which is why I find it unwise.

spending hours each day watching the ridiculous and most of the time scripted antics of people on TV is not really something trivial. It's a humungo waste of time that could be spent doing things that are actually enriching.

provided 1, you know their habits, 2, you are there noting how long they watch TV, 3, know what days they work, 4, know what work they should be doing instead of watching those shows, etc...

In other words, where's your case study?

Enrichment? Instead of posting on PF, how about you meditate?

Mentalist said:
provided 1, you know their habits, 2, you are there noting how long they watch TV, 3, know what days they work, 4, know what work they should be doing instead of watching those shows, etc...

In other words, where's your case study?

Enrichment? Instead of posting on PF, how about you meditate?

so you're suggesting that it's possible that watching hours of reality TV can be *not* an absolute waste of time

Like I said before, where is your case study saying that those who watch reality TV watch it for hours.

To my 2nd point, you're talking about "enrichment", you don't need to be here when your life can be enriched by meditating. If people ought to be "enriched" in life and not waste their idle time doing mundane things, you should put your words to action by signing off of PF and begin meditating.

Mentalist said:
Like I said before, where is your case study saying that those who watch reality TV watch it for hours.

To my 2nd point, you're talking about "enrichment", you don't need to be here when your life can be enriched by meditating. If people ought to be "enriched" in life and not waste their idle time doing mundane things, you should put your words to action by signing off of PF and begin meditating.

that's assuming that I do not get enrichment out of PF. I enjoy helping people on occasion in the HW help forums and I enjoy reading the discussions in the political forum and I enjoy reading about stuff in the astronomy forums.

These are all things that enrich my knowledge and enrich my experience.

Being a potato on the couch does not do this. Especially now that the history/discovery channels are kaput.

I don't believe that I need a case study to show this.

Whoa I seem to be getting attacked on here, my question wasn't meant to put down people or their viewing choices. I got the idea for the question because I told my dad I was thinking about going back to school to study physics, and he said then you have to quit watching the idiot box and all those reality tv shows you watch. I said I don't watch reality tv, and I said how do you know people who are studying science don't watch it either, so that's why I asked to basically win an argument with my dad. I have a few friends that are what I consider serious students, one is getting their masters in english, and he went on a rant a few weeks ago about how he thought Kim Kardashian was basically a slut, and he doesn't understand how anyone could watch her or even like her. Personally I like Kim Kardashian, can't stand the show, cause it's fake, but I like her. She doesn't drink or smoke, seems to have a pretty good head on her shoulders, and overall seems to be nice. So that's it in a nutshell, my reason for asking.

Also the reason I think reality tv is crap, is because it's so staged that it's hardly reality, and I have a little jealousy towards people that get rich and famous that way.

So basically between my dad and that friend of mine are why I asked.

Mentalist said:

I come on here about once a week, I hardly spend hours a day on here.

@Shish.

Why are you arguing with me when you should be "enriching" yourself?

I come on here about once a week, I hardly spend hours a day on here.

The post you quoted was not directed towards you.

Your initial post indicated you being "attacked". I have not attacked one person here. But I can see where you are coming from now in terms of reality TV shows being somewhat staged. I don't think Survivor is staged at all.