Least upper bound property of an ordered field

In summary, an ordered field has the least upper bound property if and only if it has the greatest lower bound property. This means that for any set with an upper bound, there is always a least upper bound, and for any set with a lower bound, there is always a greatest lower bound. This is true regardless of the existence of a lower or upper bound on their own. The hint given suggests considering the negative of the set to better understand the theorem.
Matherer
I am trying to understand the following theorem:

An ordered field has the least upper bound property iff it has the greatest lower bound property.

Before I try going through the proof, I have to understand the porblem. The problem is, I don't see why this would be true in the first place... I can have an upper bound without a lower can't I? Can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matherer said:
... I can have an upper bound without a lower can't I?

(this belongs in the Algebra forum)

Hint: If S is such a set, consider -S.

Yes, you can have an upper bound without a lower bound. But that is NOT what either the "least upper bound property" or "greatest lower bound property" say!

The "least upper bound property" says "If a set has an upper bound, then it has a least upper bound". The "greatest lower bound property" says "If a set has a lower bound then it has a greatest lower bound"

Related to Least upper bound property of an ordered field

1. What is the least upper bound property of an ordered field?

The least upper bound property, also known as the supremum property, states that every non-empty subset of an ordered field that is bounded above has a least upper bound, or supremum. This means that there is always a smallest element that is greater than or equal to all the other elements in the set.

2. How does the least upper bound property differ from the greatest lower bound property?

The greatest lower bound property is the dual property to the least upper bound property. While the least upper bound property states that every non-empty subset that is bounded above has a least upper bound, the greatest lower bound property states that every non-empty subset that is bounded below has a greatest lower bound, or infimum. Essentially, the greatest lower bound property is the same concept applied to the lower end of the set.

3. Why is the least upper bound property important in mathematics?

The least upper bound property is important in mathematics because it allows us to make precise statements about the behavior of real numbers. It is a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used in many proofs and theorems. The property also ensures that real numbers behave in a predictable and consistent way.

4. Can an ordered field have both the least upper bound property and the greatest lower bound property?

Yes, an ordered field can have both the least upper bound property and the greatest lower bound property. In fact, the real numbers are an example of an ordered field that has both of these properties. This is why they are often used as the standard model for an ordered field in mathematics.

5. What is an example of a set that does not have a least upper bound in an ordered field?

An example of a set that does not have a least upper bound in an ordered field is the set of all negative real numbers. This set is bounded above by 0, but there is no element in the set that is greater than or equal to all the other elements. Therefore, the least upper bound does not exist in this case.