Microstrip Antenna: What is Low Profile?

• Thread starter tensorbundle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary, a microstrip antenna is a type of antenna that is constructed on a thin substrate using a metallic strip or patch. It works by transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves, and its compact size makes it ideal for use in wireless communication devices. However, its low profile design can lead to limitations such as narrow bandwidth and susceptibility to interference. To optimize its performance, adjustments can be made to the size, shape, and configuration of the antenna.
tensorbundle
I found in many sources describing microstrip antennas are 'low profile'. Well, I know several antenna parameters like radiation pattern, antenna gain, intensity, directivity etc. But what is this 'low profile'?? Can anyone tell me what sort of property of an antenna does the term 'low profile' indicate? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure "low profile" refers to the physical shape of the antenna.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstrip_antenna:
A [microstrip] antenna is a narrowband, wide-beam antenna fabricated by etching the antenna element pattern in metal trace bonded to an insulating dielectric substrate [...]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a microstrip antenna?

A microstrip antenna is a type of antenna that is constructed on a thin substrate such as a printed circuit board using a metallic strip or patch. It is commonly used in wireless communication devices due to its low cost, compact size, and ease of integration with other electronic components.

2. How does a microstrip antenna work?

A microstrip antenna works by transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves through the metallic strip or patch on its substrate. The antenna is fed by a transmission line, and the metallic element acts as a resonator to radiate or receive electromagnetic energy in the desired direction. The size and shape of the metallic element determine the frequency and radiation pattern of the antenna.

3. What is the advantage of a low profile microstrip antenna?

The main advantage of a low profile microstrip antenna is its compact size. Due to its flat and thin design, it can easily be integrated into electronic devices, making them more portable and space-efficient. Low profile antennas are also less obtrusive and can be mounted in tight spaces, making them ideal for use in small devices such as smartphones and GPS systems.

4. What are the limitations of a low profile microstrip antenna?

One limitation of a low profile microstrip antenna is its narrow bandwidth. The size and shape of the metallic element restrict the range of frequencies that the antenna can transmit or receive. This can lead to reduced performance in terms of signal strength and range. Additionally, low profile antennas may be more susceptible to interference from nearby electronic components, which can affect their performance.

5. How can I optimize the performance of a low profile microstrip antenna?

To optimize the performance of a low profile microstrip antenna, the size and shape of the metallic element can be adjusted to match the desired frequency and radiation pattern. Additionally, adding a ground plane or using a stacked configuration can improve the antenna's bandwidth and radiation efficiency. Proper placement and orientation of the antenna can also help reduce interference and improve signal strength.