Understanding Molecular Speed: Finding v avg and v-rms Using a Histogram

In summary, to determine the average speed (v avg) and v-rms (root mean square) of molecules in a gas using a histogram, you will need to perform a weighted average on the histogram by converting percentages into decimal fractions and finding the center of the velocity range for each bin. For v-rms, you will need to square each speed midpoint, multiply it by its corresponding fraction, and then take the square root of the sum. This will give you a different result from the weighted average. Thank you for explaining this clearly.
Niki4444
Hello! I have a question. When I am provided with a histogram, with % of molecules along the y-axis and speed range (m/s) along the x-axis, how do I use this to determine the average speed (v avg) and v-rms (root mean square) of the molecules in the gas? I am very puzzled. Any suggestions or thoughts to point me in the right direction would be hugely appreciated. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the average speed, you will perform what is called a "weighted average" on the histogram. You have some number of bins for velocity and some percentage of the total number of molecules in each speed bin. Convert the percentages into decimal fractions (e.g., 6% = .06). Find the center of the velocity range for each bin. You will then add up the terms:

(fraction in first bin) · (speed midpoint for first bin) + (fraction in second bin) · (speed midpoint for second bin) + ... + (fraction in last bin) · (speed midpoint for last bin).

The sum will be the weighted average for molecular speed.

You do something similar for root-mean-square speed, but now the sum is:

(fraction in first bin) · (speed midpoint for first bin)^2 + (fraction in second bin) · (speed midpoint for second bin)^2 + ... + (fraction in last bin) · (speed midpoint for last bin)^2
[that is to say, square each speed midpoint first, multiply that by its corresponding fraction, then sum all the terms].

Finally, take the square root of the sum you've found; this is your root-mean-squared speed. It will be a different result from the weighted average.

Last edited:
Thank you! That makes much more sense than the confusion I was having over what is v-avg, what is v-rms, and what is v-squared... from a picture.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I get it now.

What is a histogram in physics?

A histogram in physics is a graphical representation of the distribution of data in a given set. It is used to visualize the frequency or probability of different values occurring within the data set.

How is a histogram used in physics?

Histograms are used in physics to analyze and interpret data from experiments. They can help identify patterns and trends in the data, as well as determine the average or most common value. They are also useful for identifying outliers or anomalies in the data.

What is the difference between a histogram and a bar graph?

A histogram is used to represent continuous data, while a bar graph is used to represent discrete data. In a histogram, the bars touch each other to show the continuity of the data, while in a bar graph, there is a gap between the bars to show the distinct categories.

How do you construct a histogram in physics?

To construct a histogram in physics, you first need to determine the range of values in the data set and divide it into equal intervals. Then, you count the number of data points that fall within each interval and plot them on the x-axis. The height of each bar represents the frequency of data points within that interval.

What are some limitations of using a histogram in physics?

One limitation of using a histogram in physics is that it may not accurately represent the data if the intervals are not chosen properly. The chosen intervals can also affect the interpretation of the data. Additionally, histograms cannot show the exact values of the data points, only the frequency or probability of those values occurring.