How to solve u=tan(x/2)

• Thread starter MrOranges
  • Start date
In summary, To solve the given problem, use the substitution u=\tan(x/2) and the trigonometric identities sin(x)=2sin(x/2)cos(x/2) and cos(x)=[cos(x/2)]^2-[sin(x/2)]^2. By drawing a triangle and using the values of sin(x/2) and cos(x/2) from the triangle, you can then use the substitution to solve the integral sinx/(sinx+cosx).
MrOranges

Homework Statement

Im trying to figure out how to get sinx=2u/(u^2+1) and cosx=(1-u^2)/(u^2+1). In order to solve the problem integral sinx/(sinx+cosx)

Homework Equations

use tan(x/2) to solve the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

all I can get to is u=sin(x/2)/cos(x/2)-------2u=sinx/cosx
I don't understand how we can get the u^2+1 on the bottom. All we need is the give the u-substitution but i donno how to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, we let [itex]u=\tan(x/2)[/itex]. Then we need to evaluate

[tex]\frac{2u}{1+u^2}=\frac{2\tan(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}[/tex]

Try to prove the following formula first:

[tex]1+\tan^2(\alpha)=\frac{1}{\cos^2(\alpha)}[/tex]

I just want to know how you get sinx=2u/(u^2+1) and cosx=(1-u^2)/(u^2+1) from tan(x/2). After that I can use that to plug in the integral sinx/(sinx+cosx) to make the equation solvable.

I don't quite get it. Just substitute [itex]u=\tan(x/2)[/itex] and you'll see that the equation is correct...

thanks, i got it now

Hello,

Another easier approach :

You have u=tan(x/2), draw the triangle.

Now, sin(x)=sin( 2 (x/2) ) = 2 sin(x/2) cos(x/2) , get sin(x/2) & cos(x/2) from your triangle.
cos(x)=cos( 2 (x/2) ) = [ cos(x/2) ]^2 - [ sin(x/2) ]^2

What is the formula for u=tan(x/2)?

The formula for u=tan(x/2) is u = sin(x) / (1 + cos(x)).

What are the steps to solve u=tan(x/2)?

The steps to solve u=tan(x/2) are as follows:

1. Divide both sides by tan(x/2) to isolate u.
  2. Use the identity tan(x/2) = sin(x) / (1 + cos(x)) to rewrite the equation as u = sin(x) / (1 + cos(x)).
  3. Expand the denominator by multiplying by the conjugate of 1 + cos(x), which is 1 - cos(x).
  4. Simplify the expression by canceling out the common terms in the numerator and denominator.
  5. The final result is u = 1 / cos(x).

What is the domain of u=tan(x/2)?

The domain of u=tan(x/2) is all real numbers except for x = (2n + 1)π, where n is any integer. This is because tan(x/2) is undefined at these values due to division by zero.

What is the range of u=tan(x/2)?

The range of u=tan(x/2) is all real numbers, since the output of the tangent function can take on any value. However, it is important to note that u cannot be equal to 0, since tan(x/2) = 0 when x = nπ, where n is any integer. Therefore, the range of u=tan(x/2) is u ≠ 0.

Can u=tan(x/2) be solved using a calculator?

Yes, u=tan(x/2) can be solved using a calculator. Most scientific calculators have a tangent function, which can be accessed by pressing the "tan" button or by using the key shortcut "shift + tan". Make sure your calculator is in radian mode before solving for u.