Direction of a satellite in a circular orbit

In summary, a satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg. To calculate the distance above Earth's surface at which the satellite must orbit, the equation Fg = Gm/r^2 is used. Assuming the orbit is circular, the acceleration of the satellite can be found by first calculating the velocity with v = sqr of Gm/r, and then using the formula Ac = v^2/r. The question also asks for the direction of the acceleration vector, which can be determined as towards the center of Earth. This can be proven mathematically, but it is sufficient to state it as the direction of the acceleration.
ND3G
A satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg

a) Calculate the distance above the surface of Earth at which the satellite must orbit

b) Assuming the orbit is circular calculate the acceleration of the satellite and its direction

I have solved part a) using the equation: Fg = sqr of Gm/r^2

I also solved the accelaration of the satellite by first finding the velocity (v = sqr of Gm/r) and then the circular acceleration (Ac = V^2/r).

I am a bit confused as to what they are asking for with regards to direction. I could work out the curve I suppose though I do not recall what forumula I would use. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking for the direction of the acceleration vector...

Do you think that it is enought to state that the acceleration is towards the centre of the Earth so do I need to prove it mathematically?

1. How does a satellite maintain its direction in a circular orbit?

A satellite in a circular orbit maintains its direction due to the balance between its centripetal force and its gravitational force. The centripetal force, provided by the satellite's velocity, keeps it moving in a circular path around the Earth, while the gravitational force of the Earth pulls it towards the center of the orbit.

2. Can the direction of a satellite in a circular orbit be changed?

Yes, the direction of a satellite in a circular orbit can be changed by altering its speed or by using small thrusters to adjust its trajectory. This is often done to avoid collisions with other satellites or to adjust the satellite's position for better communication or imaging purposes.

3. What determines the direction of a satellite's orbit?

The direction of a satellite's orbit is determined by its initial velocity and the gravitational pull of the Earth. The direction of the satellite's velocity vector at any given point in the orbit will always be tangent to the circular path it follows around the Earth.

4. How does the direction of a satellite's orbit affect its position over Earth?

The direction of a satellite's orbit does not affect its position over Earth, but rather its altitude and inclination. A satellite in a circular orbit will always pass over the same points on Earth at the same time during each orbit.

5. Can a satellite's direction be controlled remotely?

Yes, a satellite's direction can be controlled remotely by sending commands to its onboard propulsion system or by adjusting its orientation using reaction wheels or thrusters. This allows for precise control of the satellite's direction and position in its orbit.