The Gamma Matrix Trace Paradox: A Conundrum in Spinor Calculations

In summary, the conversation discussed a paradox regarding the evaluation of a particular expression using gamma matrices. The solution was found by using identities and the principles of the Clifford algebra, such as anticommutation and squaring. It was suggested that this method is easier and more efficient than the traditional method taught in schools. Another method using density matrices was also mentioned.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
gamma matrix trace Paradox??

Hello, i tried to evaluate this particular little guy:

[tex]\text{Tr} (\gamma ^0 p_\mu \gamma ^\mu \gamma ^0 q_\nu \gamma ^\nu )[/tex]

using these identities:

[tex]\gamma^0 \gamma^0 = I[/tex]

[tex]\text{Tr} (\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\rho \gamma^\sigma) = 4 (g^{\rho \sigma} g^{\mu \nu} - g^{\nu \sigma} g^{\mu \rho} + g^{\mu \sigma}g^{\nu \rho} ) [/tex]

[tex] \text{Tr} (\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu) = 4\eta^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

[tex] g^{00} = 1, \quad g^{ii} = -1 [/tex]using that second relation, I get:

[tex] p_\mu q_\nu \text{Tr} (\gamma ^0 \gamma ^\mu \gamma ^0 \gamma ^\nu ) = p_\mu q_\nu 4 (g^{0\mu} g^{0 \nu} - g^{0 0} g^{\mu \nu } + g^{\mu 0}g^{\nu 0} ) = [/tex]

[tex] p_\mu q_\nu (8\delta ^{0\mu}\delta ^{0\nu} - 4g^{\mu \nu } ) = 4p^0q^0 + 4\vec{q}\cdot \vec{p}[/tex]

Using the first and third, and the fact the traces are invariant under cyclic permutations of matrices.

[tex]p_\mu q_\nu\text{Tr} (\gamma^0 \gamma ^0 \gamma ^\mu \gamma ^\nu ) = p_\mu q_\nu 4g^{\mu \nu } = 4p^0q^0 - 4\vec{q}\cdot \vec{p}[/tex]

What happened?

Physics news on Phys.org

I found the solution to the paradox, I did not do a CYCLIC permutation ;-)

I think it is much easier to substitute [tex]p_\mu\gamma^\mu = p_0\gamma^0 + p_j\gamma^j[/tex]. Then separate into two sums. You get two sums. One has [tex](\gamma^0)^3[/tex] which you can reduce easily. The other has a product [tex]\gamma^0\gamma^j\gamma^0[/tex]. To reduce this, note that [tex]\gamma^0[/tex] and [tex]\gamma^j[/tex] anticommute. Now do the same thing with the other gamma product.

I never could figure out why students are taught the hard way to do these problems. One should always rely on the facts of the Clifford algebra, that is, anticommutation, and squaring to +1 or -1 for the gammas.

I don't know, we are taught to use anticommutation relations with the metric and using cyclic invariant of trace.

I see the strength in your advice although. Thank you

I think the reason they teach it to you that way is because it is more general. That is, they are teaching you things according to the principles of symmetry and this will work for other spin cases than spin 1/2. The trick I showed you only works for spin 1/2.

By the way, there is a whole nother method that uses density matrix principles instead of spinors and I like those methods too.

1. What is the Gamma matrix trace paradox?

The Gamma matrix trace paradox is a mathematical contradiction that arises when calculating the trace of a product of Gamma matrices in quantum field theory. The trace of a product of matrices should always be independent of the order in which the matrices are multiplied. However, in the case of Gamma matrices, this is not true, leading to a paradox.

2. How does the Gamma matrix trace paradox affect quantum field theory?

The Gamma matrix trace paradox does not have any significant impact on the predictions of quantum field theory. It is a mathematical inconsistency that can be resolved using different mathematical techniques, and does not affect the physical results obtained from the theory.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the Gamma matrix trace paradox?

Several solutions have been proposed to resolve the Gamma matrix trace paradox, including using different regularization schemes, introducing an extra term in the trace calculation, and modifying the definition of the trace operation. However, there is no universally accepted solution to the paradox.

4. Are there any real-world implications of the Gamma matrix trace paradox?

No, the Gamma matrix trace paradox is a purely mathematical problem and does not have any real-world implications. It only affects the mathematical consistency of quantum field theory calculations, but does not change the physical predictions of the theory.

5. Is the Gamma matrix trace paradox still an active area of research?

Yes, the Gamma matrix trace paradox is still an active area of research in theoretical physics. Researchers are continuously exploring different approaches and solutions to resolve the paradox and improve the mathematical foundations of quantum field theory.