Internet connection sharing w/ dial-up

In summary, it is possible to have internet connection sharing with a computer that uses dial up internet access. However, the overhead is large and the speed is not good.
aychamo
Hey guys

Real quick. Is it possible to have internet connection sharing with a computer that uses dial up internet access?

My parents have two computers in their house, and they only have dial up internet access available. I want to hook the two computers together with wireless networking, and then be able to use internet connection sharing (both comptuers run WinXP) to be able to share the internet connection.

I'm thinking that I need to set up an ad-hoc wireless network and then have one computer connect to the internet and then the other one share the connection.

My thing is, when it connects to the internet, it will have an IP, but how can it have a 2nd IP address to connect to another computer in the (w)lan?

Thank you
Aychamo

Computer science news on Phys.org
dduardo said:
Yes you can, but I think your parents will get very frustrated with the speed they get. The overhead is very large and you'll be lucky to get 28.8 speed out of a 56k modem. Yuck :yuck:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Thank you for the link. You want to hear something sick? My parents, where they are at, are lucky to connect at 19.2 :-)

There is just no broadband solution for them (phone company won't run DSL, and cable company doesn't have service yet out there). All the other stuff seems so expensive (multiple hundred dollars per month).

Perhaps satellite internet??

Satellite internet would probable be the best solution for them, but you'll still need to use a modem for upload. There are two-way satellite systems, but can be quite expensive.

What is internet connection sharing with dial-up?

Internet connection sharing with dial-up is a method of allowing multiple devices to access the internet using a single dial-up connection. This allows for cost savings and convenience, as only one phone line and internet plan is needed for all devices to connect.

How does internet connection sharing with dial-up work?

Internet connection sharing with dial-up works by using a device called a modem to establish a connection to the internet through a phone line. This connection is then shared with other devices through a network, typically using a router. The router acts as a central hub and allows all devices to access the internet through the shared dial-up connection.

What are the benefits of using internet connection sharing with dial-up?

The main benefit of using internet connection sharing with dial-up is cost savings. Dial-up internet plans are typically less expensive than broadband plans, so sharing a single dial-up connection with multiple devices can save money. Additionally, it can be convenient for households or small businesses with limited internet usage needs.

What are the limitations of internet connection sharing with dial-up?

One major limitation of internet connection sharing with dial-up is the slow internet speed. Dial-up connections are much slower than broadband connections, which can lead to slower internet browsing and longer download times. Additionally, the shared connection may become overloaded if too many devices are using it at once.

Is internet connection sharing with dial-up still a viable option?

While internet connection sharing with dial-up may have been a popular option in the past, it has become less common with the widespread availability and affordability of broadband internet. However, it can still be a viable option for those in rural areas with limited broadband access or for those who have low internet usage needs and want to save money on their internet plan.