"Finding a Non-Coercive Function f(x,y) on R2

• Thread starter hsong9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the homework statement is looking for a function that is not coercive, but can be used to solve a equation.
hsong9

Homework Statement

Find a function f(x,y) on R2 such that for each real number t, we have
lim x->∞ f(x,tx) = lim y->∞ f(ty,y) = ∞, but such that f(x,y) is not coercive.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that f(x,y) = x^2 -2xy + y^2 = (x-y)^2 is not coercive
but I am not sure this function can be used in above question.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think there is something wrong with your example? The limits of f(x,tx) and f(ty,y) are infinity, aren't they?

I want to know f(x,y) = x^2 -2xy + y^2 can be the answer for my question.

hsong9 said:
I want to know f(x,y) = x^2 -2xy + y^2 can be the answer for my question.

Why NOT?? If the limits of f(x,tx) and f(ty,y) are infinity then you have solved the problem. Can you show those limits are both infinity?

Thanks,
Actually, I know how both infinity are, but
My question is the function is "not coercive"
I don't know how it works lim f(x,y) != infinite. --> this means not coercive.. right?

I think so, if I understand what you are saying. If x and y go to infinity, and x=y then the limit is zero, right? Not infinity. So not coercive.

hmm, yes you understand exactly.
it does not matter lim x->∞ f(x,tx) = lim y->∞ f(ty,y) = ∞ ?
If I consider about it, x - tx is not equal to zero..

Wait a minute. I was wrong. You can't have shown f(x,tx) and f(ty,y)->infinity for all t. They don't. If t=1 then f(x,x)=f(y,y)=0. Your condition only says f(x,y) approaches infinity along straight lines approaching infinity. Your function IS zero along a line approaching infinity. You need to find a function that approaches infinity along lines approaching infinity but doesn't approach infinity along a curve that goes to infinity. Can you think of one?

Last edited:

1. What is a non-coercive function?

A non-coercive function is a mathematical function that does not force or restrict the values of its inputs. This means that the function does not have a bound on the possible values of its inputs and can accept a wide range of values without causing any issues.

2. Why is it important to find a non-coercive function?

It is important to find a non-coercive function because it allows for more flexibility in mathematical models and calculations. Non-coercive functions can accurately represent a wider range of real-world scenarios and allow for more accurate and precise calculations.

3. How is a non-coercive function different from a coercive function?

A coercive function is a mathematical function that has a bound on the values of its inputs. This means that the function will only accept a certain range of values and will cause issues if inputs fall outside of that range. A non-coercive function, on the other hand, does not have this restriction and can accept a wider range of values.

4. What are some examples of non-coercive functions?

Some examples of non-coercive functions include logarithmic functions, exponential functions, and polynomial functions. These functions do not have a bound on their inputs and can accept a wide range of values.

5. How can a non-coercive function be found on R2?

Finding a non-coercive function on R2 involves evaluating and manipulating mathematical equations and expressions. It may also involve using techniques such as optimization and curve fitting to create a function that accurately represents the data in the given scenario. It is a complex process that requires knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques.