Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #2,241
collinsmark said:
What in the world !?? :confused: <I have no words.> ??!?
Your post made no sense to me because it appeared that you were accusing Lisa of lying about that photo being an honest depiction of her. I simply saw no reason to doubt her and was asking why you would unless you knew her to be other than as represented.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
Danger said:
Your post made no sense to me because it appeared that you were accusing Lisa of lying about that photo being an honest depiction of her. I simply saw no reason to doubt her and was asking why you would unless you knew her to be other than as represented.
Oh gosh no. I was disagreeing with a previous post of someone claiming that her picture appeared to be of a transgender person. (I quoted the other poster in my post. -- my point is that I disagree with the assessment.)

[Edit: by the way, there has been suspicion in this thread that the person I quoted earlier could be a bot. If so, it would stand to reason in this case.]

Last edited:
  • #2,243
collinsmark said:
Oh gosh no. I was disagreeing with a previous post of someone claiming that her picture appeared to be of a transgender person. (I quoted the other poster in my post. -- my point is that I disagree with the assessment.)

[Edit: by the way, there has been suspicion in this thread that the person I quoted earlier could be a bot. If so, it would stand to reason in this case.]
I think that there's two of them running around this thread but I wouldn't want to "sadden them" by pointing them out again. :oldeyes: Where is Evo's ban gun when we need it?!?

• #2,244
collinsmark said:
there has been suspicion in this thread that the person I quoted earlier could be a bot. If so, it would stand to reason in this case.
Until this accusation was brought up regarding the other one, I had never heard of a "bot", and I'm still astounded that such a thing might actually be among us. Once it was mentioned, I began to have very serious suspicions. For one thing, Medicol "likes" me more often than my neighbour's dog likes my leg. That's a bit disconcerting, and a lot of his/her/its posts seem random. Conversely, some of them seem a little too human. And Anoldstudent claims to be 95 years old in the member profile. I don't dispute the likelihood of that in general, since my family is very long-lived (my mother was a couple of weeks short of 97 when she bought the biscuit), and my oldest brother is still healthy as a horse at 83. My sister died last winter at 81, but that was due to COPD (which I share with her) and multiple heart attacks and strokes. Barring traumatic things like that, we just don't stop. What seemed incongruous about the age claim is that a lot of the tech-savvy communication just doesn't fit with that generation. I'm younger than that by a fair margin, but it's still pretty obvious to anyone reading that I didn't grow up in the computer age.
Borg said:
I think that there's two of them running around this thread
Would those be the 2 that I mentioned above?

Likes Medicol
  • #2,245
Danger said:
I had never heard of a "bot", and I'm still astounded that such a thing might actually be among us.
They've been possible for awhile now, in nice forms such as Jabberwacky and many others (some, but not all, based on AIML). I imagine it wouldn't take too much get one to partake in an Internet forum.

By the way, that's completely different from my long-term goal to build an army of mayhem-bots.

ignorance.png

[http://abstrusegoose.com/205]

Likes OmCheeto, Medicol and Danger
  • #2,246
collinsmark said:
army of mayhem-bots.
That little floaty psycho bears a strong resemblance to Dogbert. Did Scott Adams draw that thing?

• #2,247
Danger said:
That little floaty psycho bears a strong resemblance to Dogbert. Did Scott Adams draw that thing?
It's Abstruse Goose. I've come to learn that the author prefers to remain anonymous. It's one of my favorite online comics, but unfortunately, he hasn't been updating since summertime. Anyway, what's there is treasure.

Likes Medicol
  • #2,248
Danger said:
I just remembered that at some point Lisa presented that photo and identified it as herself. Do you know something about her that we don't, such as her being a 6'6" Lithuanian lumberjack pretending to be a girl? Most of the people here are honest about their appearance. (Well, I know for sure that if I were going to fake it I wouldn't have submitted the picture that I did. I don't look exactly like that any more, but close enough to be recognized.)

Yes, that's me. The photo was taken about 5 years ago at the base of Crystal Mountain ski resort...summertime, of course!

Funny thing about that photo. It was the same one I used on a dating site, when I was single. It caught the attention of a pretty spectacular guy who is now my husband ;).

Likes RonL and collinsmark
  • #2,249
:confused:

Danger said:
Not to me, she doesn't!
tongue2-gif.gif

Not "mine", at least. And since she has committed parenthood, I'm pretty sure that she isn't. I seriously can't equate that second picture; it has to be a different woman. I've known a lot of people who can alter their appearance spectacularly, and I do prosthetic/special effects make-up as a hobby, but I just can't figure that being the same person.
Lisa... feel free to clear this up at any point...
hmmm...do you know Lisa Randall?

Likes RonL
  • #2,250
collinsmark said:
it wouldn't take too much get one to partake in an Internet forum

Mark V Shaney did it 30 years ago.

• #2,251
zoobyshoe said:
"Ratione" is the ablative of ratio. Ratio = "Reckoning, account, reason, judgement, consideration, system, manner, method" The ablative has manifold functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_(Latin)

and I can't definitively sort out why it's used here, but the following prepositions take the ablative case:
  • ab, a -from
  • coram -in the presence of, before
  • cum -with
  • de -down from, from
  • ex, e -out of, from
  • in -in
  • intus -within
  • palam -openly in the presence of
  • prae -in front of, before
  • pro -before
  • procul -far from
  • simul together with, simultaneously with
  • sine -without
  • sub -under
None of these mean "by".

You don't need a preposition. If I remember correctly (it was only about 47 years ago) at school we were taught that the ablative on its own usually means "by, with or from".

• #2,252
lisab said:
It caught the attention of a pretty spectacular guy who is now my husband
Lucky bastard... :oldgrumpy:

Lisa! said:
do you know Lisa Randall?
Never heard of her until you posted that.

• #2,253
Danger said:
Lucky bastard... :oldgrumpy:

Anyway thanks to RonL now you know her...:biggrin:

Likes RonL
  • #2,254
Yeah. Thanks, Ron.

Now another damned thing to keep me awake at night... :oldgrumpy:

• #2,255
Danger said:
I'm not sure I've heard of her until just now. Though, having a full brain, I may have chosen not to remember another Lisa.

Randall–Sundrum model
In physics, Randall–Sundrum models (also called 5-dimensional warped geometry theory) imagines that the real world is a higher-dimensional universe described by warped geometry. More concretely, our universe is a five-dimensional anti-de Sitter space and the elementary particles except for the graviton are localized on a (3 + 1)-dimensional brane or branes.

The models were proposed in 1999 by Lisa Randall and Raman Sundrum because they were dissatisfied with the universal extra-dimensional models then in vogue. Such models require two fine tunings; one for the value of the bulk cosmological constant and the other for the brane tensions. Later, while studying RS models in the context of the anti-de Sitter / Conformal Field Theory (AdS/CFT) correspondence, they showed how it can be dual to technicolor models.

That's exactly how I would describe things, if I knew what I was talking about.

I think I will make room for this new Lisa.

Likes Danger
  • #2,256
Youtube hates me, can't watch anything, error error error error :<

• #2,257
OmCheeto said:
That's exactly how I would describe things, if I knew what I was talking about.
:oldlaugh:

OmCheeto said:
I think I will make room for this new Lisa.
There's room for only The True One on my desktop, but I'll copy the other to my iPhoto library. Like our Lisa to my niece, this one bears a striking resemblance to our Canuck actress Jessica Steen who Yanks might remember from her guest-starring as a Special Agent in several episodes of NCIS. I don't know of her working in any Brit productions, so you might not have seen her.

• #2,258
lisab said:
Yes, that's me. The photo was taken about 5 years ago at the base of Crystal Mountain ski resort...summertime, of course!

Funny thing about that photo. It was the same one I used on a dating site, when I was single. It caught the attention of a pretty spectacular guy who is now my husband ;).
Danger said:
Yeah. Thanks, Ron.

Now another damned thing to keep me awake at night... :oldgrumpy:
The reason I can never use either as my desktop, it would make my computer useless:oldfrown: I could not bring myself to remove the check mark in the selection box "always on top" :oldsmile:

Likes Danger
  • #2,259
RonL said:
I could not bring myself to remove the check mark in the selection box "always on top"

I'll just take your word for it that such exists. I don't have one.

• #2,260
Jonathan Scott said:
You don't need a preposition. If I remember correctly (it was only about 47 years ago) at school we were taught that the ablative on its own usually means "by, with or from".
Yes, it could be the ablative of instrument. However I don't want to certify that it is with the phrase not in context, due to having been corrected in the past by Roman soldiers with a gladius at my throat for guessing at meanings I wasn't completely certain of.

• #2,261
zoobyshoe said:
gladius at my throat
So many, oh so many, possible comments... must resist...

• #2,262
Danger said:
So many, oh so many, possible comments... must resist...

I was going to comment, that, the word: "ablative", sounded like something that happens to small yippie dogs, that yanked the leash from their owners hands, whilst wanting to eat a cat, across the street.

Sally; "I haven't seen you walking Fluffy in awhile. Is he ill?"
Sue; "He got ablated, by a large truck".
Sally; "Oh. Sorry..."​

• #2,263
OmCheeto said:
Sally; "I haven't seen you walking Fluffy in awhile. Is he ill?"
Sue; "He got ablated, by a large truck".
Sally; "Oh. Sorry..."