Proving I-A is Invertible with A^m=0

In summary, an invertible matrix is a square matrix that has an inverse, which can be determined by calculating its determinant and checking if it is non-zero. A^m=0 means that the matrix A raised to the power of m is equal to the zero matrix, and this is important in proving that I-A is invertible because it allows us to use the power series expansion. Other methods, such as calculating the rank or using Gaussian elimination, can also be used to prove invertibility.
Fosheimdet

Homework Statement

Let A be a nxn matrix, and I the corresponding identity matrix, both in the real numbers ℝ. Assume that A^m=0 for a positive integer m. Show that I-A is an invertible matrix.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint what is

$$\sum_{j=0}^m \, A^j$$

what is

$$(I-A)\sum_{j=0}^m \, A^j$$

What is the definition of an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has an inverse, meaning that when multiplied by its inverse, the result is the identity matrix.

How can I determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. This can be calculated by finding the product of the elements in the main diagonal and subtracting the product of the elements in the other diagonal.

What does it mean for A^m=0?

A^m=0 means that the matrix A raised to the power of m is equal to the zero matrix, meaning that all of its elements are equal to zero.

Why is A^m=0 important in proving that I-A is invertible?

A^m=0 is important because it allows us to use the power series expansion to show that (I-A)^{-1} exists, which then proves that I-A is invertible.

Can I use other methods to prove that I-A is invertible?

Yes, there are other methods such as calculating the rank of the matrix or using Gaussian elimination. However, using A^m=0 is a commonly used method in proving invertibility.