How Can I Design an Underdamped RLC Resonator Below 3kHz?

In summary, the person is trying to design a circuit that exhibits resonance below 3kHz, and is using a FFT data acquisition system to measure input and output. They are using a NTE941M op amp and 2 9V batteries to power it. When they changed the value of the resistor to be more in line with the resonance, the response started to look better.
swraman
Hi,

I thought this would be a simple project but I have not been able to get this to work.

I need to design a circuit that exhibits a resonance below 3kHz. It must be underdamped, and the drive current limited to ~5mA.

I was usign this as an inductor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrator
300px-Op-Amp_Gyrator.svg.png

At the bottom, which simulates the inductor.

My values I am using are:
RL=1kOhm
C = .1uF
R = 10kOhm

these lead to a simulated L=.9

Combining this with a .01uF capacitor, I should get a resonance at about 1000rad/sec, and if I measure the voltage across the capacitor I should see a peak gain of 9.5 (determined analytically using Matlab). But when I put in a broadband random signal into the system, I see nothing when I measure the voltage across the capacitor but it looks exactly like my input broadband signal.

Is there something I am missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you breadboarded something or is this based on a simulation?

In case of simulation, could you show the details of it, schematic, output waveforms etc.?

Breadboard. I am using a FFT data acquisition system which measures input and output and calculates a transfer function.

I used simple KVL analysis to generate transfer functions and plot the expected FRF's in Matlab, which gave me the expected peak/resonance. I am using 2 9V batteries (one in negative direction) to power the op amp. I know the op amp works because I can make other circuits with t which operate fine.

Could do with a schematic of your test setup, including how your instruments are hooked up (and their make and model).

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sraman/dp/image_circuit.jpg

I am using an NTE941M op amp:
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte941m.pdf

My V+ and V- terminals are plugged into +/-9V batteries (reverse polarity to get -9V).

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sraman/dp/board.jpg

I have not shown the 9V batteries plugged in, they attach to terminals 4 and 7 as shown on teh datasheet.

My instruments I am using are (I am fairly certain) not the issue. It is a FFT Analyzer by Data Physics Corp. I am using a broadband random generator and measuring the response around the first .01uF capacitor. All are grounded to the breadboards ground and I am making a differential measurement across the capacitor when measuring its response.

Thanks

Raman

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the RL part of the circuit is working properly...With a broadband random input I get the following output spectrum:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sraman/dp/response_r.jpg

Which seems accurate, rolloff around 150Hz. But when I add the capacitor in front of the circuit, I get the following (measuring response across series capacitor), with a possible resonance at 1000hz instead of ~150:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sraman/dp/response_c.jpg

The thing is, in this:
300px-Op-Amp_Gyrator.svg.png

The bottom circuit is only equivalent (approximately) to the top one when R >> R_L.

I assume you got L = 0.9 H from something like:
Z_in = (R_L + j*omega*R_L*R*C) || (R + 1/(j*omega*C) = (1.000e3 + j*0.9000) Ω

for R_L = 1 kΩ, R = 10 kΩ, C = 100 nF, omega = 1 rad/s.

For omega = 10e3 rad/s:
Z_in = (5.500e3 + j*4.500e3) Ω

thus not the impedance you would expect for the circuit in the bottom.

Adjusting the values of the resistors to be more in line with R >> R_L:
Z_in = (1.089e3 + j*9.891e3) Ω

for R_L = 100 Ω, R = 100 kΩ, C = 100 nF, omega = 10e3 rad/s,

which is much more like it should be according to the equivalent circuit in the bottom.

In short, try R1 = 100 Ω, R2 = 100 kΩ instead. I'd expect a resonance frequency of around 1/(2*pi*sqrt(1 H*10e-9 F) ~= 1.6 kHz with a gain of around 20 dB (you're limited by your rails though).

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew there must have been some condition I was overlooking for the simulated inductor to work.

I did the best I could with the pieces I have, and used a 250Ohm resistor instead of 100 that you suggest. The response is starting to look much better.
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sraman/dp/response_c_250ohm.jpg

I don't quite understand why the response levels out at ~3kHz but I am not really concerned with any poles/zeros after the resonance.

I will but the necessary components tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, Ill let you know how it works.

What is a RLC resonator?

A RLC resonator is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in parallel or in series. It is used to generate or select a specific frequency of electrical signal by resonance.

What is the purpose of designing a RLC resonator?

The purpose of designing a RLC resonator is to create a circuit that can produce or filter a specific frequency of electrical signal with high precision. This is useful in various applications such as in radio communication, audio equipment, and electronic filters.

What are the factors to consider when designing a RLC resonator?

The factors to consider when designing a RLC resonator include the desired resonant frequency, the Q factor (quality factor) of the circuit, the type of coupling between components, and the stability of the circuit. Additionally, the choice of components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) also plays a crucial role in the design process.

What is the difference between a parallel and series RLC resonator?

In a parallel RLC resonator, the resistor, inductor, and capacitor are connected in parallel, while in a series RLC resonator, they are connected in series. This results in different impedance and resonant frequency characteristics. A parallel resonator has a higher impedance at the resonant frequency, while a series resonator has a lower impedance. Additionally, the quality factor is higher for a parallel resonator compared to a series resonator.

How can I calculate the resonant frequency of a RLC resonator?

The resonant frequency of a RLC resonator can be calculated using the formula: f0 = 1 / (2π√(LC)). Here, f0 is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. Alternatively, the resonant frequency can be measured experimentally by varying the frequency of the input signal and observing the output for maximum amplitude.