F(z) = [1-cosh(z)] / z^3. its pole, order & residue

In summary, the function f(z) = [1 - cosh(z)] / z3 has a pole as its singular point. The order of the pole is m = 2, and the residue B = -1/12. The limit of |f(z)| as z approaches the singular point is 0, indicating a removable singular point. To determine the limit for a pole, we need to expand cosh(z) into its Taylor series, which results in a non-zero limit.
bobmerhebi
1. Show that f(z) = [1 - cosh(z)] / z3 has a pole as its singular point. Determine its order m & find the residue B.

lim |f(z)| tends to [tex]\infty[/tex] as z tends to singular point

bm + bm+1(z-z0)+...+ b1(z-z0)m-1 + [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n = 0}[/tex]an(z-z0)n= (z-z0) m f(z)

3. f(z) = [1 - cosh(z)] / z3 = 1/z3 - cos(iz)/z3

that's all i could do. I don't know how to do the limit of the cos part. does it approach infinity ? I think NOt right ?

please help asap.

thx in advnace

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand out cosh(z) = cos(iz) using its Taylor series.

eok20 said:
Expand out cosh(z) = cos(iz) using its Taylor series.

Doing this i get:

f(z) = 1 - (1 + z2/2 + z4 / 4! + z6 / 6! + ...)

= - [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n = 1}[/tex]z2n/(2n)! tends to 0 as z tends to 0

but this is not the limit we have for a pole. but its for a removable singular point. isn't it ?

1. What is the pole of F(z)?

The pole of a function is a point at which the function is undefined or infinite. In the case of F(z) = [1-cosh(z)]/z^3, the pole is at z = 0.

2. What is the order of the pole of F(z)?

The order of a pole is the highest power of z in the denominator of the function. In this case, the order is 3 because z^3 is the highest power in the denominator of F(z).

3. How do you calculate the residue of F(z)?

The residue of a function at a pole is the coefficient of the term with the highest power of z in the Laurent series expansion of the function. In this case, we can use the formula Res(f,c) = lim(z→c) [(z-c)^n * f(z)], where c is the pole and n is the order of the pole. The residue of F(z) at z = 0 is 1/2.

4. Can F(z) be simplified further?

Yes, F(z) can be further simplified by using the identity cosh(z) = (e^z + e^-z)/2. Substituting this into the original function, we get F(z) = (e^z - 1)/2z^2.

5. Are there any other poles for F(z)?

No, there are no other poles for F(z) because the only factor in the denominator is z^3, which has a root of multiplicity 3 at z = 0.