Find zeros of quadratic equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the zeros of a quadratic equation with the given equation. The solution involves substituting u for x, solving the equation for u, and then back substituting to find the values of x.
Torshi

Homework Statement

Find the zeros of the quadratic equation?

Homework Equations

P(x)=4(x+7)^2+(x+7)-3

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted and made it 4u^2+u-3 ?? Then after that I factor then back substitute?? I'm not sure how to back substitute tho.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what u is equal to when you make the substitution. If you have that and the value for u, finding x should be straightforward.

Torshi said:
I'm not sure how to back substitute tho.

What's the equation for u in terms of x? Once you have this, solve for x in the equation and plug in the values you got for u.

You did a change of variables. You substituted u for x where u = x+7 to get the equation

[tex] f(u) \, = \, 4u^{2} \, + \, u \, - \, 3 \, = \, 0[/tex]

solve for u in the above expression then use u = x + 7 to find x for each u.

i.e. since u = x+7 then x = u - 7 gives you x.

1. What are the steps to find the zeros of a quadratic equation?

To find the zeros of a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. The steps for the quadratic formula are: 1) Identify the values for a, b, and c in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0, 2) Substitute these values into the formula (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a, and 3) Simplify the equation to find the two solutions for x.

2. How do you graph a quadratic equation to find its zeros?

To graph a quadratic equation, you can plot points on a coordinate plane by substituting different values for x and solving for y. The zeros of the equation will be the x-intercepts of the graph, where the graph crosses the x-axis.

3. What does it mean when a quadratic equation has no real zeros?

A quadratic equation with no real zeros means that the solutions for x are imaginary numbers. This can happen when the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is negative, meaning that there are no points where the graph of the equation crosses the x-axis.

4. Can there be more than two zeros in a quadratic equation?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two zeros. This is because a quadratic equation is a polynomial of degree 2, meaning that it can have a maximum of two solutions.

5. How can you use the zeros of a quadratic equation to solve real-world problems?

The zeros of a quadratic equation can represent the roots or solutions to a real-world problem. For example, if the equation represents the height of an object thrown into the air, the zeros would represent the time when the object hits the ground. By solving for the zeros, you can find the answers to these types of problems.