Purusing High Energy Physics (research)

In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in high energy physics and their plan to study it while pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering. They are wondering how to incorporate high energy physics into their studies and what active problems they can explore at an undergraduate level. They are requesting input from experts in the field.
maverick280857
Hello all

This thread is a continuation of my previous thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122582) where some of my queries about physics curriculum at the undergraduate level were answered.

Basic intro: I am getting into a Bachelors program in Electrical Engineering at IIT Kanpur (India) but my interests are in the field of high energy (particle) physics theory + experiment. I am teaching myself mathematical methods, electromagnetic theory, special relativity, quantum mechanics and also reading Griffiths' elementary particles out of interest and I am dead sure now that my interests lie in research/academia in these areas. I am interested in some areas of electrical engineering as well, such as semiconductor devices and computer vision. Having 'researched' course options (In an EE system, we are allowed to take a finite number of electives from other departments, so you cannot take all courses.), grad school entrance requirements etc, I have figured out that after EE, apart from GRE and/or other test requirements, recommendations, etc. one has to take additional courses in physics which might have been left out at the undergraduate level. If this is not possible, one might have to indulge in a self-teaching adventure to pick up things.

But my query is: staying in EE, how can one pursue interests in high energy physics apart from courses? What are the active problems that can be at least thought of at an undergraduate level without too much exposure to courses? Anything that overlaps with EE?

I would appreciate if any high-energy/particle physicists or anyone knowledgeable in this area of physics could respond to this thread...

Thanks in advance...

Cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because it belongs here. The High energy physics forum is restricted to the discussion of actual subject matter.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, because it belongs here. The High energy physics forum is restricted to the discussion of actual subject matter.

Zz.

Okay then someone please respond to it :smile:

Why don't you just go into the physics undergrad program?

1. What is high energy physics research?

High energy physics research is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at incredibly high energies. This includes the study of subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, as well as the fundamental forces of nature such as gravity and electromagnetism.

2. What are some potential applications of high energy physics research?

High energy physics research has a wide range of potential applications, including advancements in medical imaging and cancer treatment, improving our understanding of the universe and its origins, and developing new technologies for energy production and storage.

3. How do scientists conduct research in high energy physics?

Scientists in high energy physics use a variety of tools and techniques to conduct their research. This includes particle accelerators, which are used to accelerate particles to high energies, as well as detectors and computers to analyze the data produced by these collisions.

4. What are some current and ongoing projects in high energy physics research?

Some current and ongoing projects in high energy physics research include the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, which is the largest and most powerful particle accelerator in the world, and the IceCube Neutrino Observatory, which is located deep in the ice of Antarctica and studies high-energy neutrinos from outer space.

5. How does high energy physics research impact our daily lives?

High energy physics research has a significant impact on our daily lives, even if we may not always realize it. The technology developed through this research has led to advancements in medicine, energy production, and communication. Additionally, our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature and the origins of the universe has profound philosophical and cultural implications.