Dielectric and force between charges

In summary, the force between two charges at (x=-d) and (x=+d) is q^2/(4*pi*(eps_0)*4*d^2). When a dielectric (K) is inserted between (-d/2<x<d/2), the force is still the same as the electrical field E remains unchanged. This may seem strange, but it is because the dielectric only affects the D field, not the E field. The force between the charges is still F=qE and E=D/(K*epsilonzero), even though the dielectric is only present between (-d/2<x<d/2). This may seem strange, but it is because the two charges are in the matter eps_
shomey
Homework Statement

suppose I have a charge q at (x=-d) and a charge q at (x=+d).
the force between them is q^2/(4*pi*(eps_0)*4*d^2).

now, I insert a dielectric (K) between (-d/2<x<d/2), what would be the force between the charges now?

The attempt at a solution

it seems like it would be the same but it sounds strange...
If I use the D field, it is not effected by the dielectrics, and thus I can see that the electrical field E is the same as before (D/eps_0) and thus the force is the same...

could it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
shomey said:
Homework Statement

suppose I have a charge q at (x=-d) and a charge q at (x=+d).
the force between them is q^2/(4*pi*(eps_0)*4*d^2).

now, I insert a dielectric (K) between (-d/2<x<d/2), what would be the force between the charges now?

The attempt at a solution

it seems like it would be the same but it sounds strange...
If I use the D field, it is not effected by the dielectrics, and thus I can see that the electrical field E is the same as before (D/eps_0) and thus the force is the same...

could it be?

someone?? please?
I really need help with this...

F=qE and E=D/(K*epsilonzero)

pam said:
F=qE and E=D/(K*epsilonzero)

that's just it, i don't think this is it.
notice that the two charge are in the matter eps_0.

* the other dielectric is only found at (-d/2 < x < d/2 ).
* the two charges are in (x = -d) and (x = +d).

so it seems like the force will be F=qE and E=d/eps_0.
which is exactly like if there was no dielectric between them, and it seems pretty weird to me...

What happens at the dielectric surface/boundary?
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that does not conduct electricity. It is often used in capacitors to store electrical energy and reduce the effects of electric fields.

2. How does a dielectric material affect the force between charges?

A dielectric material decreases the force between charges by reducing the strength of the electric field between them. This is because the material polarizes in the presence of an external electric field, creating an opposing field that weakens the overall force between the charges.

3. What is the relationship between dielectric constant and force between charges?

The dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy. It is directly related to the force between charges as it determines the amount by which the electric field is reduced in the presence of a dielectric material.

4. How does distance between charges affect the force in a dielectric material?

The force between charges in a dielectric material follows the inverse square law, meaning that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. This is because the electric field weakens as it spreads out over a larger area in the presence of a dielectric material.

5. Can a dielectric material increase the force between charges?

No, a dielectric material can only decrease the force between charges. This is because it opposes the external electric field, reducing its strength and therefore the overall force between the charges.