What resources can help me prepare for logic gate problems on the Physics GRE?

In summary, the conversation discusses different resources and recommendations for understanding logic gates and electronics. The speakers mention using previous tests, online tutorials, and books such as "Electronic Principles" by Malvino and "Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits" by Anant Agarwal. They also mention the relevance of electronics courses for physics students and recommend other books such as "Microelectronics" by Sedra and Smith and "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz.
rar0308
I viewed previous tests on the internet.
There are logic gate problems in a test.
What subject do this logic gates problems belong to?
What book do you recommend for understatnding this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electronics course,

this may be too detailed but it does explain them:

http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tutorials/digital_theory_ch_003.htm

We used to work with truth tables, karnaugh maps and boolean algebra as part of our logic gate understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a lot of answers to my questions in Malvino's "Electronic Principles", which I use for my electronics course. It's overkill for sure, but reading a few of the chapters and multiple choice questions at the end of each chapter is probably enough to answer everything I've seen on the pgre.

Is this subject usually taken by physics student? It seems like my university's physics department doesn't offer electronics course.

What do you think about this book?
Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits, Anant Agarwal.

rar0308 said:
Is this subject usually taken by physics student? It seems like my university's physics department doesn't offer electronics course.

Depends on the university, some offer multiple electronics courses, some offer none.

Good books are Microelectronics by Sedra and Smith and the Art of Electronics by Horowitz.

The book by Agarwal is probably good, his MIT lectures on electronics were worth watching.

1. What are logic gates in Physics GRE?

Logic gates are electronic devices that perform logical operations on one or more binary inputs to produce a single binary output. They are used in digital circuits to process and manipulate binary information.

2. What is the importance of logic gates in Physics GRE?

Logic gates are important in Physics GRE because they are the fundamental building blocks of digital circuits, which are crucial in modern technology and engineering. They also help in understanding the principles of logic and reasoning, which are essential in problem-solving and analytical thinking.

3. What are the basic types of logic gates in Physics GRE?

The basic types of logic gates in Physics GRE are AND, OR, NOT, NAND, and NOR gates. These gates can be combined to create more complex logic circuits.

4. How do logic gates work in Physics GRE?

Logic gates work by using transistors to manipulate the flow of electricity based on the input signals. Each gate has a different logic function, such as AND gates producing an output only when all inputs are 1, and NOT gates inverting the input signal.

5. How can I practice using logic gates for the Physics GRE?

You can practice using logic gates for the Physics GRE by solving logic gate problems and practicing building logic circuits. There are also online resources and practice tests available to help you prepare for the exam.