Chain Rule Application: Solving a First Year Uni Math Problem

In summary, the conversation was about a first year university math problem that involved using the chain rule to show that (dw/dx)/(dw/dy) = (df/du)^2 - (df/dv)^2. The participants discussed the steps and variables involved in applying the chain rule, and eventually came to a solution.
3pear
first year uni math problem~~

if w=f(u,v)has continuous partial derivatives and u=x+y
  and v=x-y,use the chain rule to show that

(dw/dx)/(dw/dy)=(df/du)^2-(df/dv)^2

this is a first year uni math problem,is there anyone can help we with it??
thx a lot! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

do you know the chain rule?

yeah i know,but no idea homework do i apply on this question~~

[tex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v} \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]

ok,i got it,but i still not clear which varible i take respect to when i differenciate for u=x+y and v=x-y...

[tex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u}*1 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}*1 = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}[/tex]

oh!i got it~~~ thanks mates~

1. What is a "first year uni math problem"?

A "first year uni math problem" refers to a mathematical problem or exercise typically encountered in the first year of university-level mathematics courses. These problems are designed to introduce students to key mathematical concepts and principles and help them develop their problem-solving skills.

2. What topics are usually covered in first year uni math problems?

First year uni math problems usually cover a range of topics, including algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics. They may also involve real-world applications of these mathematical concepts.

3. How difficult are first year uni math problems?

The difficulty of first year uni math problems can vary depending on the individual student's background and aptitude in mathematics. However, they are generally designed to be challenging yet manageable for first-year students, as they are meant to build a strong foundation for more advanced math courses.

4. What resources are available to help with first year uni math problems?

There are many resources available to help with first year uni math problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Most universities also have math tutoring services or academic support centers where students can seek additional help.

5. How can I improve my performance on first year uni math problems?

To improve your performance on first year uni math problems, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to review key concepts and techniques, and to approach problems systematically by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps.