Proving the Relationship Between Determinants and Hyperplanes

In summary, the conversation discusses the determinant representing the set of points x in R_k which lies on a hyperplane passing through the points p1, p2...p_k. It is mentioned that if the determinant is non-zero and the sign is opposite for two choices of x, then they must be on different sides of the hyperplane. The conversation also provides hints for solving the problem for the specific cases of k=2 and k=3, as well as discussing the linear equations that result from expanding the determinant. The conversation ends with a request for help in providing a rigorous proof for a specific part of the problem.
Harmony

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1108/question.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the determinant represents the set of points, x in R_k which lies in the hyper plane passing through the points p1, p2...p_k. I also know, that if the determinant is non zero, and the sign is opposite for two choice of x, then they must be on different side of the hyper plane.

However, i am not too sure how can i prove this. My first thought is that this looks like the determinant to a Jacobian, but can't proceed much beyond that.

Any hints and helps is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Since the problem asks specifically about the cases k= 2 and k= 3 did you look at them? Often when a problem asks about "2" and "3" and then "n", the first two are intended as a hint.

With k= 2, this equation becomes
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 1 & 1 \\ x & p_{1x} & p_{2x} \\ y & p_{1y} & p_{2y}\end{array}\right|= \left|\begin{array}{cc}p_{1x} & p_{2x} \\ p_{1y} & p_{2y}\end{array}\right|- \left|\begin{array}{cc}x & p_{2x} \\ y & p_{2y} \end{array}\right|+ \left|\begin{array}{cc}x & p_{1x} \\ y & p_{1y}\end{array}\right|[/tex]
where I have expanded by the first row.
You can continue but it should be obvious that you will have a linear equation in x and y- the equation of a line.

Similarly, in three dimensions, expanding by the first row gives you numbers multiplying in x, y, and z, again a linear equation. That will be the equation of a plane.

Since there is only one "x" in the determinant, no matter what k is that reduces to a linear equation in the k components of x so gives a k-1 dimensional linear manifold, a "hyperplane" as you titled this thread. (But not necessarily a subspace. The set will contain the origin only if the determinant of the given "p"s is 0.)

[PLAIN]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1883/questiona.png

Thanks for your help. I am stuck with the next part of the question though. I know that a and b will lies on the different side of the line/plane/hyper plane, but I am not too sure how to provide a rigorous proof for that...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are hyperplanes in math?

Hyperplanes are n-dimensional planes that divide an n-dimensional space into two half-spaces. In other words, they are flat surfaces that divide a space into two equal parts.

2. How are hyperplanes used in mathematics?

Hyperplanes are commonly used in linear algebra and geometry to solve equations and analyze geometric shapes. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to classify data points into different categories.

3. How do you find the equation of a hyperplane?

The equation of a hyperplane can be found by using the normal vector of the hyperplane and a point on the hyperplane. The equation is of the form ax + by + cz + d = 0, where (a, b, c) is the normal vector and (x, y, z) is a point on the hyperplane.

4. What is the difference between a hyperplane and a plane?

A hyperplane is a type of plane that exists in an n-dimensional space, whereas a plane only exists in a 3-dimensional space. Hyperplanes also have additional properties and equations that are specific to their higher dimensionality.

5. Can you provide an example of a hyperplane in real life?

One example of a hyperplane in real life is the line that divides the left and right sides of a road, also known as the median. This line can be extended into higher dimensions, creating a hyperplane that divides a higher dimensional space into two halves.