Solving Advanced SHM Problem: Tips & Guidance

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework problem that needs to be approached with proper guidance. The problem involves using a formula and manipulating it to solve for a variable. The person asking for help also agrees to take a better picture of the formula to make it easier to read.
PhysicsKid0123
I have a homework problem I need help with. I don't want the answer given to me since I know I can answer it with the proper guidance.
How should I approach this problem?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409893185.944767.jpg

This is what I have so far. How should I approach this? Did I start off right?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409893621.787673.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry thought this was the homework section

hi there

can you please rotate and repost your images so I don't have to lie down to try and read them :)

cheers
Dave

PS have asked for it to be moved to homework section

We have:
[itex] x=\alpha \cos{(\omega t-\phi)} \Rightarrow \dot x=-\alpha \omega \sin{(\omega t-\phi)} [/itex]
Let's take [itex] \delta=\omega t-\phi [/itex], then we can write:
[itex] \sin^2 \delta+\cos^2 \delta=1 \Rightarrow (\frac{\dot x}{\alpha \omega})^2+(\frac{x}{\alpha})^2=1 [/itex].
Is it enough or I should explain further?

Shyan said:
We have:
[itex] x=\alpha \cos{(\omega t-\phi)} \Rightarrow \dot x=-\alpha \omega \sin{(\omega t-\phi)} [/itex]
Let's take [itex] \delta=\omega t-\phi [/itex], then we can write:
[itex] \sin^2 \delta+\cos^2 \delta=1 \Rightarrow (\frac{\dot x}{\alpha \omega})^2+(\frac{x}{\alpha})^2=1 [/itex].
Is it enough or I should explain further?
Mhmm let me see what I can extrapolate from this. Give me a moment... Thanks btw.

davenn said:
hi there

can you please rotate and repost your images so I don't have to lie down to try and read them :)

cheers
Dave

PS have asked for it to be moved to homework section
Okay! I will take a better picture!

Since this has been reposted in the HW section, I will close this thread.

Related to Solving Advanced SHM Problem: Tips & Guidance

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in advanced SHM?

To improve your problem-solving skills in advanced SHM, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and equations. Practice solving various problems and seek guidance from experienced professionals or teachers. Additionally, try breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable steps and utilize diagrams or visual aids to aid in your understanding.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving advanced SHM problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving advanced SHM problems include not properly identifying the type of SHM (simple harmonic motion) involved, using incorrect equations, and not considering all relevant factors such as damping or external forces. It is also important to check your units and use consistent notation throughout your calculations.

3. How can I approach a complex SHM problem?

A good approach to solving a complex SHM problem is to first identify all the relevant information given and what you are trying to solve for. Then, break down the problem into smaller, simpler parts and solve each part individually. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem and identify any potential errors.

4. What are some tips for remembering the equations for advanced SHM?

One tip for remembering the equations for advanced SHM is to understand the derivation of each equation and its physical significance. Additionally, practice using the equations in different scenarios and try to relate them to real-life examples. Creating flashcards or summary sheets can also be helpful for memorization.

5. How can I check my answers when solving advanced SHM problems?

To check your answers when solving advanced SHM problems, it is important to first double-check your calculations and ensure that you have used the correct equations and units. You can also plug your values back into the original equation to see if they satisfy the given conditions. If possible, compare your solution to a known solution or ask a teacher or peer to review your work.