Laplace Transform - Learn & Calculate Transforms Easily

In summary, the conversation is about a potential mistake in the solutions manual regarding a specific theorem. The speaker suggests trying the problem without using the theorem and breaking it down into smaller integrals. They also mention the importance of separating the cases of n being even or odd and possibly factoring the resulting sum. They suggest quoting the specific theorem for an easier approach.
Turion
Please ignore this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct solution:

7UShynu.png

Actually, I think the solutions manual is wrong. Please ignore this thread.

It would have helped if you stated Theorem 4.3.3. That said, we could try it without any special theorem. We have

##Lf = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}f(t)dt ##

which you can split up into the sum of integrals from (0,a) (a,2a) ... ([n-1]a,na) (na,t), where na < t < (n+1)a.

Each of these is easy enough to evaluate, but be careful to separate out the case where n is even and n is odd (why?). I'll bet you can factor some stuff out of the resulting sum.

Why don't you try this out? And why don't you quote theorem 4.3.3 -- maybe it's an easier way to do things.

brmath said:
It would have helped if you stated Theorem 4.3.3. That said, we could try it without any special theorem. We have

##Lf = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}f(t)dt ##

which you can split up into the sum of integrals from (0,a) (a,2a) ... ([n-1]a,na) (na,t), where na < t < (n+1)a.

Each of these is easy enough to evaluate, but be careful to separate out the case where n is even and n is odd (why?). I'll bet you can factor some stuff out of the resulting sum.

Why don't you try this out? And why don't you quote theorem 4.3.3 -- maybe it's an easier way to do things.

Sorry for wasting your time, but I already posted:

Actually, I think the solutions manual is wrong. Please ignore this thread.

What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

Why is the Laplace Transform useful?

The Laplace Transform allows us to solve complex differential equations that cannot be easily solved using other methods. It also helps to simplify calculations and make them more manageable.

How do you calculate a Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function multiplied by an exponential term. This integral can be evaluated using tables, software, or by hand using integration techniques.

What are some common applications of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is commonly used in electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, and other fields to model and analyze systems. It is also used in physics to solve problems involving differential equations.

What are the limitations of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is not always applicable, especially for functions that do not have a finite integral. It also only works for linear, time-invariant systems, and cannot be used for nonlinear or time-varying systems. Additionally, the inverse Laplace Transform may not exist for all functions, making it difficult to obtain the original function from its Laplace Transform.