Probability density function, cumulative function.

In summary, the conversation discusses a random voltage defined by a probability density function with a mixed distribution of continuous and discrete components. The Heaviside step function is used to find the constant k, which is determined to be 0.25. The probability of the random variable taking the value of 2 is found to be equal to k, and the cumulative distribution function is given by F(x) = Pr(V <= x), which may not be continuous at x = 2 due to the presence of the delta function.
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

Random voltage is defined with its probability density function:
[tex] p_{\xi}(v)=2,25u(v+2)e^{-3(v+2)}+k\delta (v-2) [/tex]

u-Heaviside step function

a) Find constant k.
b) What is the probability of a random variable to take value of 2.
c) Find the cumulative distribution function.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}p_{\xi}(x)dx=1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the constant k is 0,25. (if somebody would check that for me)

Now for the b), I am not sure. I know that when you have continuous distribution, probability that the function has 1 specific value is 0.

But this delta function at that point is confusing me. Does it change things? Should the probability be 0.25?

And I have troubles finding cumulative distribution. Help me out here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:

Homework Statement

Random voltage is defined with its probability density function:
[tex] p_{\xi}(v)=2,25u(v+2)e^{-3(v+2)}+k\delta (v-2) [/tex]

u-Heaviside step function

a) Find constant k.
b) What is the probability of a random variable to take value of 2.
c) Find the cumulative distribution function.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}p_{\xi}(x)dx=1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the constant k is 0,25. (if somebody would check that for me)

Now for the b), I am not sure. I know that when you have continuous distribution, probability that the function has 1 specific value is 0.

But this delta function at that point is confusing me. Does it change things? Should the probability be 0.25?

And I have troubles finding cumulative distribution. Help me out here.

This is an example of a "mixed" random variable that has both a continuous and discrete component. Other (perhaps more familiar) examples are lifetime distributions of products, which may have a nonzero probability at lifetime = 0, because the product may be non-functional right out of the box, but if it is functional when new, then its remaining life has a continuous distribution. Anyway, that is the role of the delta function: it describes a point-mass for probability at v = 2. (Are you sure you should have delta(v-2) rather than delta(v+2)? It seems strange to have a point mass in the middle of a continuous part.)

So, in your case, Pr{V = 2} = k, which is not zero.

The cumulative distribution is just F(x) = Pr(V <= x} = integral(p(v), v = -infinity..x), which ought to be easy for you to do. In this case F(x) is not continuous at x = 2; maybe that is what was confusing you.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
This is an example of a "mixed" random variable that has both a continuous and discrete component. Other (perhaps more familiar) examples are lifetime distributions of products, which may have a nonzero probability at lifetime = 0, because the product may be non-functional right out of the box, but if it is functional when new, then its remaining life has a continuous distribution. Anyway, that is the role of the delta function: it describes a point-mass for probability at v = 2. (Are you sure you should have delta(v-2) rather than delta(v+2)? It seems strange to have a point mass in the middle of a continuous part.)

So, in your case, Pr{V = 2} = k, which is not zero.

The cumulative distribution is just F(x) = Pr(V <= x} = integral(p(v), v = -infinity..x), which ought to be easy for you to do. In this case F(x) is not continuous at x = 2; maybe that is what was confusing you.

RGV

Thank you for your reply. I am sure that the δ is at 2. We usually have that, unusual things :).

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the relative likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a given value. It is used to represent the distribution of a continuous random variable and is typically graphed as a curve on a graph.

2. How is a probability density function different from a probability mass function?

A probability density function is used for continuous random variables, while a probability mass function is used for discrete random variables. A probability density function gives the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range, while a probability mass function gives the probability of a random variable taking on a specific value.

3. What is the area under a probability density function curve?

The area under a probability density function curve represents the total probability of an event occurring. The area under the curve is always equal to 1, since the probability of any event occurring is always 100%.

4. What is a cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A cumulative distribution function is a mathematical function that gives the probability that a random variable will take on a value less than or equal to a given value. It is the integral of the probability density function and is used to determine the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range.

5. How is a cumulative distribution function related to a probability density function?

A cumulative distribution function is the integral of a probability density function, which means it represents the total probability of a random variable taking on a value less than or equal to a given value. The probability density function gives the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a specific value, while the cumulative distribution function gives the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range.