Subtracting constant energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of subtracting a constant from the diagonal of a Hamiltonian without changing the system it describes. The conversation also addresses a mistake made in regards to the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian when adding or subtracting from the diagonal. It is concluded that the differences between eigenvalues will remain the same and the eigenvectors will not change.
fargoth
correct me if I am wrong..
as i see it, i can subtract any constant from the diagonal of the hamiltonian without really changing the system it describes... am i right?

if i got a two state system, the hamiltonian can look like this:

[tex] \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & P_{2->1} \\
P_{1->2} & \Delta E \\
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta E=H_{22}-H_{11}[/tex]

if I am right so far... then here's my problem - when you diagonize the matrix it doesn't have the same eigenvalues (i mean not even the same delta...) if you add or subtract from the diagonal... and that can't be right... so what's wrong in my view of things?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fargoth said:
correct me if I am wrong..
as i see it, i can subtract any constant from the diagonal of the hamiltonian without really changing the system it describes... am i right?

if i got a two state system, the hamiltonian can look like this:

[tex] \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & P_{1->2} \\
P_{2->1} & \Delta E \\
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta E=H_{22}-H_{11}[/tex]

if I am right so far... then here's my problem - when you diagonize the matrix it doesn't have the same eigenvalues (i mean not even the same delta...) if you add or subtract from the diagonal... and that can't be right... so what's wrong in my view of things?

You must be making a mistake.
Imagine H0 the original hamiltonian (the one you quote, for instance), and |e1> an eigenvector.
Then we have H0 |e1> = E1 |e1>

Now consider that we add C 1 to H0 (unit matrix times constant C).

Then of course C 1|e1> = C |e1>

Define H1 = H0 + C 1

H1 |e1> = H0 |e1> + C 1 |e1> = E1 |e1> + C |e1> = (E1 + C) |e1>

So we see that |e1> is again an eigenvector of H1, but this time with eigenvalue E1 + C. All eigenvalues of H1 will be the eigenvalues of H0 plus C, and the eigenvectors will be the same. The differences between the eigenvalues will of course remain the same (C will be eliminated).

cheers,
Patrick.

yeah, i found my mistake... the delta remains the same... :blushing:

What is subtracting constant energy?

Subtracting constant energy refers to the process of removing a fixed amount of energy from a system. This can be done by decreasing the energy level of one or more components in the system, resulting in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

Why would someone want to subtract constant energy?

Subtracting constant energy can be useful in various situations, such as in experiments or engineering processes where precise control of energy levels is necessary. It can also be used to reduce the energy of a system that is in an unstable or undesirable state.

How is constant energy subtracted?

Constant energy can be subtracted in different ways depending on the system and the desired outcome. Some common methods include using cooling systems to decrease the energy level, removing a source of energy, or using energy-absorbing materials to reduce the overall energy of the system.

What are the effects of subtracting constant energy?

The effects of subtracting constant energy can vary depending on the system and the amount of energy being removed. In general, it can result in a decrease in temperature, a change in physical or chemical properties, or a shift in the equilibrium of the system.

Are there any risks involved in subtracting constant energy?

When done carefully and with proper precautions, subtracting constant energy does not pose significant risks. However, in certain systems, sudden or excessive removal of energy can lead to unexpected reactions or changes, so it is important to carefully monitor and control the process.