MTW Box 21.1 - What can "add and subtract" do for Equation (12)?

• Thread starter TerryW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    equation
TerryW
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Derive Equation (15) from Equation (12)
Relevant Equations
See attachment
I haven't posted for a while and I am still (!) working through some of the things I didn't quite get in MTW Chapter 21.

Here is my latest puzzle.

I want to work out how to get from Equation (12) in the attachment, to Equation (15).

I've tried the "add and subtract" ##\{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}A_0\delta t\}_{,i}##

This gives me ##+\{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}\delta t\}A_{0,i}## and -##\{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}\delta t\}A_{i,0}##

Plus ## \{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}\}_{,i}A_0\delta t## and minus ## \{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}\}_{,i}A_0\delta t##

All this does is allow me to replace ##\{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}A_{i,0}\}## with ##-\{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}A_{0,i}\}## which I could have done anyway by index manipulation,

I can then add the two versions of (12) to give a new equation which is $$2\delta S = \int \big[ 2\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}\delta A_{i}+\{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}A_{i,0}-\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}A_{0,i}\}\delta t -2\mathfrak L\}\big]d^3x$$

What this means is that my result for ##\frac {\delta S}{\delta \Omega}## contains the term ##2F^{i0}(A_{i,0} - A_{0,i})## instead of ##4F^{i0}(A_{i,0} - A_{0,i})##

I then had a look at the Plus and Minus ## \{\frac {(-g)^{\frac12}F^{i0}}{4\pi}\}_{,i}A_0\delta t## terms which I had discarded earlier as they cancel, to see if I could find some extra terms, but I couldn't find anything to fix the problem.

Can anyone point out what I am missing?
RegardsTerryW

Attachments

• Box 21.1.png
    Box 21.1.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 42
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Terry, I don't think if you remember my other handle though I hadn't forgotten you queries from MTW I did purchase the paper black version from Amazon.com quite a Heavy lifting.

But I'll get there eventually.
Nowadays I am reading Information Theory by Cover and Thomas for my last degree, hopefully I'll achieve it.
Cheers mate, you'll never be forgotten!

I mean it is paperback.

billtodd said:
Hi Terry, I don't think if you remember my other handle though I hadn't forgotten you queries from MTW I did purchase the paper black version from Amazon.com quite a Heavy lifting.

But I'll get there eventually.
Nowadays I am reading Information Theory by Cover and Thomas for my last degree, hopefully I'll achieve it.
Cheers mate, you'll never be forgotten!
Best of luck with MTW. Should you ever need a steer with any of the problems (I'm currently on Chapter 23), just drop me a message.

CheersTerry W

TerryW said:
Best of luck with MTW. Should you ever need a steer with any of the problems (I'm currently on Chapter 23), just drop me a message.

CheersTerry W
We ain't getting younger, but with no Guts no Glory:

BTW what was your 'other handle'?

TerryW said:
BTW what was your 'other handle'?
Let's just say I am a 21st century polymath... :oldbiggrin:

What does "add and subtract" do for Equation (12)?

By adding and subtracting certain terms to Equation (12), we can manipulate the equation to simplify it or isolate certain variables.

How does "add and subtract" affect the overall equation?

The addition and subtraction of terms in Equation (12) can change the structure of the equation and make it easier to solve or analyze.

Can "add and subtract" help in solving Equation (12)?

Yes, adding and subtracting specific terms can help in solving Equation (12) by rearranging it in a more manageable form.

What are the benefits of using "add and subtract" in Equation (12)?

Using "add and subtract" in Equation (12) can help in simplifying the equation, identifying patterns, and making it easier to understand the relationships between variables.

Are there any limitations to using "add and subtract" in Equation (12)?

While adding and subtracting terms can be helpful, there may be cases where it complicates the equation further or leads to incorrect solutions if not done carefully.