What is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|

• Thread starter matrix_204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, When finding the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|, it is important to consider the graph of |x| and use the horizontal line test to determine if the function is invertible. For the given problem, we need to find the distribution of X=|Z|, the density of X, the distribution of Y=X^2, and the joint distribution of X and Y. For part a, we use the property P(|Z|</=x) = P(-z</= x </= z) to find the distribution. For part b, we use the given density function. For part c, we use the fact that the distribution of Y=X^2 is N(0,2
matrix_204
I'm preparing for my Statistics and Probability exam tomorrow, and I have a quick question:

What is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|. (just to make sure, h'(x)=1, right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
h'(x) is not 1 for all x. Draw the graph of |x| and think again. Also do you know the horizontal line test for whether a function is invertible?

Well when I draw the graph for |x| i get like a graph like this starting at the origin \|/ , and I'm not sure how to find the inverse or by using the horizontal line test? is that like one-to-one function type?

This is the problem that I'm doing:
Suppose that Z is a standard normal random variable: i.e. Z~N(0,1).
a) Find the distribution of X=|Z| .
b) What is the density of X?
c) Find the distribution of Y=X^2
d) What is the joint distribution of X and Y?
------------------------------------------
For a) P(X</=x) = P(|Z|</= x) = P(-z</= x </= z) = P(x</=z) - P(x</= -z)
I'm stuck here...

For b) is the density function for this the same as the one that is given as the definition. I mean fx(x)=[1/root2(pie)]e^(-x^2)/2?

For c) I got N(0, 2root(y)) as the distribution of Y=X^2.

1. What is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|?

The inverse of h(y) where y=|x| is the function that "undoes" the original function h(y). It is represented as h-1(y) and is used to find the value of x that corresponds to a given y.

2. How is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x| calculated?

The inverse of h(y) where y=|x| is calculated by solving for x in the original equation. This is typically done by isolating the variable x and applying the inverse operations in reverse order.

3. Can the inverse of h(y) where y=|x| exist?

Yes, the inverse of h(y) where y=|x| can exist as long as the original function h(y) is one-to-one. This means that each input has a unique output, making it possible to find the inverse.

4. What is the domain and range of the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|?

The domain of the inverse of h(y) where y=|x| is the range of the original function h(y). This means that the domain consists of all the possible y values of h(y). The range of the inverse is the domain of the original function, which consists of all the possible x values of h(x).

5. How is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x| used in real life?

The inverse of h(y) where y=|x| is used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in solving equations involving absolute value, finding the inverse of trigonometric functions, and in data analysis to find the input values that produce a specific output.