Simple functions question

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
Your solution is correct. In summary, the value of k can be found by setting gf(2) equal to 16, which results in k being equal to 5. However, the markscheme may have made a mistake by not squaring the 3 in g(3), which would result in a different value for k.
nokia8650
The functions f and g are defined by:

f(x) = x^2 - 2x +3

g(x) = k(x^2) + 1

Given that gf(2) = 16, find the value of k

My solution:

f(2) = 3

g(3) = 9k +1

9k + 1 = 16

k = 15/9

However, the markscheme quotes "16=3k+1" therefore k =5.

I am unable to understand how the markscheme came to this conclusion, please can someonebody help with this. The markscheme may have a mistake, which is what I am thinking!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks fine to me. Looks like the key may have made a mistake of not squaring the 3 or something.

Yeah, it looks like the answer key didn't take into account the square.

1. What is a simple function?

A simple function is a mathematical relationship between an input and an output that can be expressed as a single equation or rule. It takes in one or more inputs and produces a corresponding output based on the defined relationship.

2. How are simple functions used in science?

Simple functions are used in science to model and analyze relationships between variables. They allow scientists to make predictions, interpret data, and understand how different factors affect each other.

3. What are the basic components of a simple function?

A simple function typically consists of an input variable, an output variable, and a rule or equation that relates the two. The input variable is the value that is being manipulated, while the output variable is the result of the manipulation.

4. Can a simple function have more than one input or output?

Yes, a simple function can have multiple inputs and outputs. In these cases, the relationship between the inputs and outputs is more complex and may involve multiple rules or equations.

5. How can simple functions be graphed?

Simple functions can be graphed by plotting the input values on the x-axis and the corresponding output values on the y-axis. This creates a visual representation of the relationship between the variables, allowing for easier analysis and interpretation.