Help with Burning Balsa Wood Green Using Copper

• Thread starter Applemush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, the speaker is trying to get balsa wood to burn green by dissolving copper in water and soaking the wood in it. However, they are unsure if copper can actually be dissolved in water and are seeking suggestions for alternative methods. The expert suggests using a copper compound, such as copper chloride, instead of pure copper.
Applemush
Hi, I'm trying to get balsa wood to burn green, and I know that copper burns green. If i cut up pieces of copper and dissolve them in water, then let the balsa wood soak up the water, I imagine it would burn green. However, I don't know if I can dissolve copper in water. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on what I'm doing. Thank you.

-Sincerly
Applemush.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, I know that you can't dissolve copper in water, but would cutting copper up into tiny pieces and placing them in water create a copper solution. And if that won't do, how can i create a copper solution.

Start with some copper compound, not copper itself. Copper chloride for example.

1. How does copper help with burning balsa wood green?

Copper acts as a catalyst in the combustion process of balsa wood, making the burning of the wood more efficient and producing a greener flame.

2. Can any type of copper be used for this purpose?

No, only pure copper should be used as alloys or impure copper may interfere with the combustion process and produce unwanted byproducts.

3. What is the recommended amount of copper to use when burning balsa wood?

The recommended amount is approximately 1 gram of copper for every 10 grams of balsa wood. It is important to not exceed this ratio as it may lead to excessive smoke or undesirable flames.

4. Is it safe to handle copper while burning balsa wood?

As long as proper safety precautions are taken, such as wearing gloves and goggles, it is generally safe to handle copper while burning balsa wood. However, it is important to handle copper with caution as it can be hot and may cause burns.

5. What other materials can be used to achieve the same effect as copper when burning balsa wood?

Other materials that can act as catalysts in the combustion process of balsa wood include iron, nickel, and aluminum. However, each material may produce a different color flame and may require different ratios to achieve the desired effect.