How to Simplify (Lnx)^n for Homework?

• Thread starter GeekPioneer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression (lnx)^n, with the suggestion to use the rules of logarithms to move the exponent to the front and write it as n*ln(x). The conversation also briefly mentions using e to solve a similar expression, but the specific method is not clear. The final conclusion is that there should be a concrete answer, such as 16ln2, when simplifying the expression.
GeekPioneer

Homework Statement

Im trying to simply (lnx)^n say (ln2)^3

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Im lost on this one I can't find any information. All info I'm finding is dilute because of similar search terms.

Please, and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no way to simplify it in the form you have? Are you sure it isn't meant to be read as ln(x^n) Where the exponent is in the natural log? If so, the rules of logarithms tell us that we can move the n to the front and write it as n*ln(x). So, how would this look for say ln(2^3)?

no its (ln2)^4 not ln2^4=4ln2 solving this I believe involves setting it equal to σ or some variable and then exponentiating using e. Although I could be completely wrong. I know this can be simplified and solve because my professor did it in class, I just can't find my notes from that day.

Well, letting (ln2)^4 and trying to solve for say 2 here, we'd have to involve a 4th root:

Two solutions (for even roots):
ln2 = 4-root(y) and ln2 = -4-root(y)

So now, we can use e as:

2=e^(4-root(y)) and 2=e^(-4-root(y))=1/e^(4-root(y))

And of of course for odd roots it isn't necessary.

Does this look similar?

I think I'm following you've if 4-root(y) means y1/4. Regardless that doesn't look right? Thanks for the interest though :). We should be able to get a concrete answer like 16ln2 or something if i remember correctly!

GeekPioneer said:
I think I'm following you've if 4-root(y) means y1/4. Regardless that doesn't look right? Thanks for the interest though :). We should be able to get a concrete answer like 16ln2 or something if i remember correctly!

No, ln(x)^n is just ln(x)^n. ln(x^n)=n*ln(x), but that's not what you are asking about.

1. What does "simplify (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc." mean?

When we say "simplify (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc.", we are asking to simplify a logarithmic expression that has been raised to different powers. In this case, the expression (Lnx) is being raised to the powers of 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on.

2. How do I simplify (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc.?

To simplify (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc., we can use the properties of logarithms. First, we can use the power rule, which states that (Ln x)^a = a* Ln x. Then, we can use the product rule, which states that Ln (x*y) = Ln x + Ln y. Finally, we can use the quotient rule, which states that Ln (x/y) = Ln x - Ln y. By applying these rules, we can simplify the expression (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc. to a single logarithm.

3. Can (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc. be simplified to a single number?

No, (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc. cannot be simplified to a single number. The expression (Lnx) is a logarithmic function, and raising it to different powers does not result in a single number. Instead, we can simplify it to a single logarithm using the rules mentioned in the previous answer.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc.?

The purpose of simplifying (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc. is to make the expression easier to work with and to see the relationship between the different powers of the logarithm. It can also help in solving equations or graphing the function.

5. Are there any restrictions when simplifying (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc.?

Yes, there are some restrictions when simplifying (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc. Since the logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers, the argument of the logarithm (x) must be greater than 0. Additionally, the powers (2, 3, 4, 5, etc.) must be real numbers, meaning they cannot be irrational or complex numbers.