Integrating with Multiple Variables: How to Solve the Crazy Integration Problem?

• Thread starter Spartan029
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating the integral \int_0^{1}x f''(x) dx, with the use of the fundamental theorem of calculus. The conversation also includes a helpful explanation of the theorem.
Spartan029

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f[/tex] be twice differentiable with [tex]f(0)=6, f(1)=5, [/tex] [tex] f'(1)=2[/tex]
Evaluate the integral [tex]\int_0^{1}x f''(x) dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int uv' dx = uv = \int u'v dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

u = x and v' = f''(x)
so
u' = 1dx and v = f'(x)
so

[tex]xf'(x) - \int_0^{1}f'(x) dx[/tex]

from here I am not sure what to do... maybe parts again...
u = 1dx and v' = f'(x)
so
u' = 0? and v = f(x) //derivative of 1dx is 0 right?
so

[tex]xf'(x) - f(x) - \int_0^{1} 0 dx[/tex] ?

i really don't know. any help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the fundamental theorem of calculus say about:

[tex]\int_0^1 f'(x)dx[/tex]

?:wink:

[tex]\int_0^1 f'(x)dx = f(1) - f(0)[/tex] ??

Yep.

wow that's awesome. now i feel retarded haha.
but seriosuly... thanks gabba!

Related to Integrating with Multiple Variables: How to Solve the Crazy Integration Problem?

What is a "Crazy integration problem"?

A "Crazy integration problem" refers to a complex mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the sum of infinitely small parts, known as integration. These problems often require advanced mathematical techniques and can be challenging to solve.

What is the purpose of solving "Crazy integration problems"?

The purpose of solving "Crazy integration problems" is to apply mathematical concepts and techniques to real-world problems, such as calculating the area of irregular shapes or finding the volume of a three-dimensional object. These problems also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common techniques used to solve "Crazy integration problems"?

Some common techniques used to solve "Crazy integration problems" include the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra to solve these problems effectively.

What are some tips for successfully solving "Crazy integration problems"?

Some tips for successfully solving "Crazy integration problems" include understanding the problem thoroughly, identifying the appropriate techniques to use, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and double-checking your work for accuracy. Practice and persistence are also key to improving in solving these types of problems.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Crazy integration problems"?

To improve your skills in solving "Crazy integration problems," it is essential to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of calculus and practice regularly. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to clarify any concepts or techniques you may be struggling with. Additionally, challenging yourself with increasingly difficult problems can help to improve your problem-solving abilities.