Thermal Radiation of MARS problemo

In summary, the average temperature of Mars is -55 degrees C and its albedo is 0.15. To calculate its thermal radiation, one can use the Stefan-Boltzmann law by taking into account the emissivity value and the area. Additionally, one can also calculate the energy Mars receives from the sun minus its albedo, and consider the effect of altitude on thermal emission for a spacecraft design project.
stevemclaren

Homework Statement

the thermal radiation of mars

Homework Equations

i understand Earth radiates at 237W/m^2 into space but i can't find out how much Mars radiates, i know it has an average temp of -55 degrees C so i know its going to be a lot less but i don't know how much. i need this for a spacecraft design project I am doing

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

would really apprieciate any help on this one guys

x

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the mean temperature you can make a pretty good guess using the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

sure thing but as Mars is not a blackbody then what value shall i use for the emmissitivty? (e in the equation P=e*sigma * t^4* area)

also would atmospheric makeup have an effect?

cheers

You can also calculate how much energy Mars gets from the sun, mimus what it immediately reflects away (albedo). This avoids the error you make by taking the average temperature.

sure that's sounds good,
the albedo of Mars is 0.15 so it will take in 0.85 of the suns energy after initial reflection.
will it then re emit all of this?
also does anyone know the relationship between altitude and thermal emmission, the satellite I am trying to design will fly 278km above mars' surface so I'm trying to calculate the effect of Mars on its temperature

cheers all

1. What is thermal radiation and how does it relate to Mars?

Thermal radiation is the process by which an object emits electromagnetic waves due to its temperature. Mars has a thin atmosphere and lacks a protective magnetic field, causing it to have a large temperature range and significant thermal radiation.

2. Why is understanding thermal radiation on Mars important?

Understanding thermal radiation on Mars is crucial for many reasons. It affects the planet's overall climate, the potential habitability for future human missions, and the design and functioning of any equipment or technology sent to Mars.

3. What factors influence the thermal radiation on Mars?

The thermal radiation on Mars is influenced by several factors, including the planet's distance from the sun, its thin atmosphere, the composition of its surface, and the presence of dust and ice particles in the atmosphere.

4. How do scientists measure thermal radiation on Mars?

Scientists use instruments such as thermal cameras and spectrometers to measure thermal radiation on Mars. These instruments detect and analyze the electromagnetic waves emitted by the planet's surface and atmosphere.

5. What challenges do scientists face in studying thermal radiation on Mars?

Studying thermal radiation on Mars presents several challenges, including the harsh and extreme conditions on the planet's surface, the limited data available, and the complex interactions between various factors that influence thermal radiation. Additionally, the instruments used to measure thermal radiation must be specifically designed and calibrated for the unique conditions on Mars.