Relative Motion Question Involving Rain and Moving Car

In summary, the car is traveling east at 45.0 km/h and raindrops are falling vertically at a constant speed. The angle between the raindrops and the side windows of the car is 45.0°. The velocity of the rain with respect to the car is 17.7 m/s. To find the velocity of the rain with respect to the Earth, the equation is velocity of rain relative to car + velocity of car relative to Earth = velocity of rain relative to earth. The resulting velocity is 12.5 m/s downward.
ff_yy

Homework Statement

A car travels due east with a speed of 45.0 km/h. Raindrops are falling at a constant speed vertically with respect to the Earth. The traces of the rain on the side windows of the car make an angle of 45.0° with the vertical. Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the following reference frames.
(a) the car

(b) the Earth

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the answer of part a) which is 17.7 m/s using simple trigonometry although I didn't really understand why the sign was positive.
I found the velocity of the car to be 12.5 m/s and with my diagram got:
sin45=12.5/Vr (Vr= velocity of rain relative to the car)
Vr = 12.7 m/s

For part b, I thought that
velocity of rain relative to car = velocity of car relative to Earth - velocity of rain relative to earth
So, 17.7 = Vre -12.5
So I found the velocity of rain relative to the Earth to be 30.2 m/s.

I can't remember where I got that reasoning for part b from, but is that the only thing that's wrong?

Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
ff_yy said:
I managed to find the answer of part a) which is 17.7 m/s using simple trigonometry although I didn't really understand why the sign was positive.
The sign just depends on your coordinate system; all they want is the magnitude of the velocity.
I found the velocity of the car to be 12.5 m/s and with my diagram got:
sin45=12.5/Vr (Vr= velocity of rain relative to the car)
OK.
Vr = 12.7 m/s
?? Typo?

For part b, I thought that
velocity of rain relative to car = velocity of car relative to Earth - velocity of rain relative to earth
Not exactly. Instead:
velocity of rain relative to car + velocity of car relative to Earth = velocity of rain relative to earth
So, 17.7 = Vre -12.5
No. Realize that the equation above is a vector equation. Apply it to each component separately.

So, when you say apply the vector equation to each component separately, can I split say the vector of velocity of rain relative to car into horizontal and vertical components?

And that would mean that
horizontally: Vre= -12.5 +12.5 = 0
vertically: vre =12.5 + 0 = 12.5

So answer is just 12.5 m/s (down)

If that's not right, then I'm not sure what you mean...

You got it.

What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the perceived motion of an object or observer in relation to a different point of reference. It takes into account the movement of both objects or observers involved.

How does rain affect relative motion in a moving car?

If a car is moving and rain is falling vertically, the rain will appear to be falling at an angle to a person inside the car. This is due to the relative motion of the car and the rain. The rain is falling straight down in relation to a stationary observer, but it appears to be falling at an angle to a person in the moving car.

Why does the rain appear to be falling at an angle in a moving car?

This is due to the principle of relative motion. The car and the rain are both moving at different velocities, and the combination of these velocities creates the perception of the rain falling at an angle in relation to the person in the car.

How can the speed of the rain be calculated in this scenario?

The speed of the rain can be calculated by using the velocity of the car and the angle at which the rain appears to be falling. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine.

Is relative motion only applicable to moving objects?

No, relative motion can also be observed between stationary objects. For example, if two people are standing next to each other, their relative motion can be observed when one person moves in relation to the other.