Proving M_{0i} = 0 in Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the steps leading up to equation 1.5 in a book that was not accessible through a provided link. The suggestion was made to show M_{0i} = 0 as a way to understand the rest of the argument, and it was later revealed that this was a homework problem which the individual was able to solve with the help of others.
TrifidBlue
http://books.google.com/books?id=qhDFuWbLlgQC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q&f=false"

lpha%20=0}^{3}%20\sum_{\beta%20=0}^{3}M_{\alpha%20\beta%20}(\Delta%20x^\alpha)(\Delta%20x^\beta).gif

Until he arrives at eq. 1.5

gif.latex?\large%20\Delta%20\grave{S}^2%20=%20\phi(v)\Delta%20S^2.gif

I don't understand the steps, can anyone explain it?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't view the book through the link.

You can download it as PDF [deleted copyright-violating link - bcrowell]
Or as djvu file [deleted copyright-violating link - bcrowell]

The solution isn't to give us links to illegal online copies.

How about just writing out the details of the argument for us?

Have you tried showing [itex]M_{0i} = 0[/itex] yourself? If you can do that, the rest follows quite naturally but I should probably point out that this is a homework problem (its an exercise at the end of the chapter).

bcrowell, I'm sorry, for putting _illegal online copies.

WannabeNewton, I'll try again, I didn't notice it was an exercise. thanks.

WannabeNewton said:
Have you tried showing [itex]M_{0i} = 0[/itex] yourself? If you can do that, the rest follows quite naturally but I should probably point out that this is a homework problem (its an exercise at the end of the chapter).

I figured it out, thanks for your help :D

1. What is the concept of invariance of interval in Special Relativity (SR)?

Invariance of interval in SR refers to the principle that the space-time interval between two events is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This concept is central to the theory of Special Relativity and helps to explain the observed phenomena of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How does the invariance of interval relate to the speed of light?

According to the theory of Special Relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that the space-time interval, which includes both space and time components, must also remain the same for all observers. This is known as the invariance of interval.

3. What is the formula for calculating the interval in SR?

The interval (Δs) in SR is calculated using the formula: Δs^2 = c^2Δt^2 - Δx^2, where c is the speed of light, Δt is the time component, and Δx is the space component. This formula ensures that the interval remains the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

4. How does the invariance of interval differ from the Galilean principle of relativity?

The Galilean principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This principle does not account for the speed of light, and therefore does not hold true in the theory of Special Relativity. In contrast, the invariance of interval in SR accounts for the constancy of the speed of light and maintains that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

5. Why is the invariance of interval important in SR?

The invariance of interval is important in SR because it provides a consistent and universal framework for understanding the relationship between space and time. This principle helps to explain the observed phenomena of time dilation and length contraction, and is essential in the development of other concepts in Special Relativity, such as the Lorentz transformations.