Stuck on equating co-efficents DiffEQ

In summary, the conversation discusses finding and equating coefficients in polynomials and exponentials. One approach is to use the fact that two polynomials are equal if their coefficients are the same. The other approach involves plugging in different values for t to generate equations in A, B, and C.
mr_coffee
I'm confused on how to equate coniffecents. What I'm doing is, finding a particular solution for just the polynomial then I'm going to find it just for the exponential and add them together rather then putting it all together and making it a mess, but I'm stuck when i try to add the Co-efficents, can someone explain that process to me? Thanks!

Here is my work!
http://suprfile.com/src/1/1ta5k1/lastscan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I kinda see.

Fact: Two polynomials are equal iff their respective coefficients are the same. (You might want to try proving this (hint set x=0. u get 1 relation, differentiate, set x=0, u get a second equality, differentiate, set x=0, etc))

This is what you have here. So you want to rewrite the LHS as

[tex]-At^2 + (2A-B)t + (12A+B-C) = t^2 + t[/tex]

Now what the theorem/fact stated above is telling you is that

-A=1
2A-B=1
12A+B-C=0

It's a linear system of equation. Start row-reducin' friend!

THanks man worked great!

There is another method: just plug-in three different values of t (like, say t=0,1,2,) into the given equation to generate three equations in A,B, and C.

shweet.
thanks for the tip

What does it mean to be "stuck on equating co-efficents" in Differential Equations?

Equating coefficients is a common technique used in solving differential equations. It involves setting the coefficients of different terms in the equation equal to each other in order to solve for unknown variables or parameters.

Why is equating coefficients important in Differential Equations?

Equating coefficients allows us to simplify a differential equation by reducing the number of unknown variables. This makes it easier to solve the equation and find a general solution.

How do I know which coefficients to equate in a Differential Equation?

The coefficients that are equated depend on the specific problem and the technique being used. In general, coefficients of similar terms (e.g. all x terms, all y terms) are equated to each other.

Can I use equating coefficients in all types of Differential Equations?

Equating coefficients can be used in both linear and non-linear differential equations. However, it may not always be the most efficient or effective method for solving a particular equation.

Are there any tips for successfully equating coefficients in Differential Equations?

It is important to carefully identify the terms in the equation and group them together before equating coefficients. It may also be helpful to use substitution or other techniques to simplify the equation before equating coefficients.