Hydraulic Analogue - Mapping Electric Circuits to Fluid Flow

• Thread starter arithma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary, the hydraulic analogue, which compares electric circuits to fluid flow, maps voltage to pressure and current to water flow. It has already been used in the application of using electronic circuits in fluid mechanics courses, with the hydraulic ram and boost converter being similar topologies. The resistive analogy has been figured out, but there is still a need for formulas for inductance and capacitance. These can be found in the moment of inertia of water in pipes and reservoirs with pressured gas. Assistance in finding these formulas would be appreciated.
arithma
The hydraulic analogue (check it out on wikipedia for an indepth explanation) compares between electric circuits and fluid flow. It maps voltage to pressure and current to water flow.
I have been trying to take this analogue into applicability and use circuits from electronics and use them in my fluid mechanics course. To my surprise, this has been already done (possibly implicitly). The hydraulic ram and the boost converter are practically the same topology.

I got the resistive analogy figured out, I still need some formulas for induction and capacitance of any form (as into make a system to port any electric circuit into a functioning fluid circuit with reasonable functionality)

I know by now that inductors are implicitly found in pipes due to water's moment of inertia. Capacitance is model-able by reservoirs that stack water vertically (possibly with pressured gas on the inside).
The thing am missing is the formulas.
Pointing out the right track on the very least to find out these formulas will be fine :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
1566948159494.png

Knock yourself out with these. Note the C and L labelled on the diagram. You can write the equationf for those I'm sure.

1. What is a hydraulic analogue?

A hydraulic analogue is a method of representing an electric circuit using a fluid flow system. It allows for a better understanding of complex electrical circuits by comparing them to more familiar and tangible hydraulic systems.

2. How does a hydraulic analogue work?

A hydraulic analogue works by using fluid flow to represent the flow of electricity in a circuit. Components such as pipes, valves, and pumps are used to simulate resistors, capacitors, and other elements in an electric circuit. The pressure of the fluid represents voltage, and the flow rate represents current.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydraulic analogue?

Using a hydraulic analogue can provide a visual and hands-on understanding of electric circuits. It can also help in troubleshooting and designing circuits by allowing for easy manipulation and observation of the fluid flow. Additionally, it can aid in teaching complex concepts to students who may have difficulty understanding abstract electrical diagrams.

4. Are there any limitations to using a hydraulic analogue?

One limitation of using a hydraulic analogue is that it is not a perfect representation of an electric circuit. Some aspects, such as the speed of electricity, cannot be accurately simulated with fluid flow. Additionally, the cost and setup time of a hydraulic analogue may be a hindrance to using it for larger or more complex circuits.

5. How is a hydraulic analogue used in real-world applications?

Hydraulic analogues are commonly used in industries such as aerospace and automotive engineering to model and test complicated electrical systems. They can also be used in educational settings to teach students about circuits and their components. Additionally, they are used in research and development to simulate and analyze the behavior of electrical systems before physical prototypes are built.