Integral of (1/8z^3 -1) around Contour C=1: Step by Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a function around a contour, specifically (1/8z^3 - 1) around the contour c=1. It is mentioned that the singularities of the function are 1/2, 1/2exp(2pi/3), and 1/2exp(4pi/3). The next step is to find the function's residue at each of the poles inside the contour and use the residue theorem. However, the conversation also suggests finding a parametrization of the contour and evaluating the integral by hand. It is noted that normally, this method works the other way around - starting with a definite real integral and interpreting it as a complex integral over a closed
soulsearching
Also when trying to find the integral of (1/8z^3 -1) around the contour c=1.

I found the singularities to be 1/2, 1/2exp(2pi/3), and 1/2exp(4pi/3)

What is the next step here. Do I just assume the integral is 6pi(i) after using partial fractions to find the numerators of the 3 fractions.

The answer is actually 0, but I don't understand how it was solved. I know it might have something to do with the rule that says, the sum of the integral of a C1, C2 and C3 is equal to the integral of the outside contour, but how do i know the orientation of the three contours inside the big contour C.

Thanks, hope I am not asking too many questions

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the function's residue at each of the poles inside the contour. Then use the residue theorem.

Pere Callahan said:
Find the function's residue at each of the poles inside the contour. Then use the residue theorem.

We haven't covered residue theorem yet. Is there any other way to solve it?

soulsearching said:
We haven't covered residue theorem yet. Is there any other way to solve it?
Of course there is. Find a parametrization of the contour and do it by hand.

In general if you want to evaluate
[tex]
\int_C dz f(z)
[/tex]

where C is the contour, you can find a parametrization

[tex]
\gamma : [0,1]\to \mathbb{C}
[/tex]
such that [itex]\gamma([0,1])=C[/itex] (formalities omitted - you are certainly familiar with that :smile:)

Then your integral becomes

[tex]
\int_0^1 dt f(\gamma(t))|\gamma'(t)|
[/tex]

This will give a not-too eays but doable integral. Note however, that normally it works the other way around. If you have some definite real integral, you can sometimes try to interpret it as a complex integral over a closed contour and use the residue theorem to evaluate it, but that's a different story.

Last edited:
soulsearching said:
What is the next step here. Do I just assume the integral is 6pi(i) after using partial fractions to find the numerators of the 3 fractions.

The answer is actually 0, but I don't understand how it was solved. I know it might have something to do with the rule that says, the sum of the integral of a C1, C2 and C3 is equal to the integral of the outside contour, but how do i know the orientation of the three contours inside the big contour C.

Hi soulsearching! :smile:

I'm a little confused (especially by the 6πi). :confused:

Are you saying that you know how to integrate (1/2z - 1) round a contour containing z = 1/2?

If so, just use the same contour for all three partition fractions! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi soulsearching! :smile:

I'm a little confused (especially by the 6πi). :confused:

Are you saying that you know how to integrate (1/2z - 1) round a contour containing z = 1/2?

If so, just use the same contour for all three partition fractions! :smile:

Like after breaking up the fraction into 3 fractions using partial fractions, what's the next step?

Thanks... :)

Last edited:
soulsearching said:
Life after breaking up the fraction into 3 fractions using partial fractions, what's the next step?

erm … if you don't know how to integrate (1/2z - 1) round a contour containing z = 1/2, then there is no next step … you're stuck (or, rather, you have to follow Pere Callahan's method)!

So … do you know ? … you didn't say. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
erm … if you don't know how to integrate (1/2z - 1) round a contour containing z = 1/2, then there is no next step … you're stuck (or, rather, you have to follow Pere Callahan's method)!

So … do you know ? … you didn't say. :smile:

I think its going to be 2pi(i) because the singularity (1/2) is inside the contour. is this right?

i did not get Pere Callahan's method. and why did you choose the contour as z=1/2? the question says integrate it around z=1

soulsearching said:
i did not get Pere Callahan's method. and why did you choose the contour as z=1/2? the question says integrate it around z=1

No, I said a contour containing z = 1/2.

You're getting confused between z = 1/2 (a point) and |z| = 1/2 (a circle) … I did warn you about that in another thread :rolleyes: … you must write |z| when you mean it, or you'll lose track.

The integral, of course, is the same for any contour that includes the same singularities. :smile:

So you could, for example, choose the contour |z| = 100!

And then integrate all three partial fractions round that.
I think its going to be 2pi(i) because the singularity (1/2) is inside the contour. is this right?

erm …
:redface: I can't remember! …:redface:

but I know it's 1/2 times something. :rolleyes:

1. What is a contour?

A contour is a curve or path in a complex plane that connects a set of points with the same complex number value. In other words, it is a closed path that helps define the region in which the complex function is integrated.

2. Why is the contour C=1 used in this integral?

The contour C=1 is used because it encloses the singular point z=0, which is necessary for evaluating the integral of the given function. The contour also avoids any other singular points or branch cuts that may affect the integration.

3. What is the step by step guide for finding the integral of (1/8z^3 -1) around Contour C=1?

The step by step guide would include: 1) Identifying the singular points and branch cuts of the function, 2) Drawing the contour C=1 in the complex plane, 3) Parameterizing the contour using z=1+e^it, 4) Substituting the parameterization into the function and solving for dz, 5) Evaluating the integral using the Residue Theorem or Cauchy's Integral Formula, and 6) Simplifying the resulting expression to get the final answer.

4. What is the Residue Theorem and how is it used in this integral?

The Residue Theorem states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points inside the contour. In this integral, the Residue Theorem is used to evaluate the integral by finding the residues of the function at z=0, which is the only singular point inside the contour.

5. Why is it important to use a step by step guide for this integral?

Using a step by step guide helps to ensure that the integral is evaluated correctly and efficiently. It also helps to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps, making it easier to understand and follow. Additionally, following a guide can help avoid mistakes and save time in the integration process.