REU/anything useful after freshman year

In summary: Recommendations. In summary, a freshman at SUNY Stony Brook is interested in doing an REU over the summer. He recommends getting involved in research early and recommends letters of recommendation.
LBloom
Hi, I'm an incoming freshman at SUNY Stony Brook. I know it might be a little early planning for my next summer, but I want to make sure i don't waste it like i did this one. I worked at a camp job and watched the Lewin lectures on freshman physics (to supplement AP physics) and the MIT lectures on Multivariable Calculus. Now, the job did help with money and the lectures will help with the classes, but its nothing i can really put on an application for a physics major.
I was looking at REUs, and they appeared perfect. I would get paid more than i do now, they would provide housing, and best of all, i get to work on physics research over the summer. However, it appears like a lot of them prefer sophomores and juniors, and as of now I have no research experience to speak of, although i'll try to fix that in college. In terms of physics courses, first semester i'll be taking Physics B (an intro course on waves, fluids, thermodynamics, motion of rigid bodies), but next semester I'll be taking two sophomore physics classes, PHY 251 (modern physics and lab) and 277 (where I'll be learning C+++ or fortran 90), and maybe an intro to chemistry or an intro to astronomy. I'm hoping the knowledge of computer languages will make me more marketable.

If anyone has info on an REU that targets freshman or that they've had good experience with, any help would be appreciated. I looked at the NSFs website for a list of REUs, but they don't have a complete list (they didnt include some colleges like boston college). I'd be willing to look beyond REUs to any internships or programs, but obviously an REU would be preferable.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you are freshman, then best (and easiest) way to get research exp. is to ask the profs in your department whether they can offer you a job.

Note that I have not done a REU, however this is what I have gathered from friends that have.

It seems like the most important things for the app is physics/math courses completed and letters of references. Also depending on the REU, programming languages.

Unfortunately, as a freshman this limits you a bit. The best LORs would come from a professor/PI who you have done research with. Also the amount of physics and math classes you would have completed is minimal.

Good luck.

I also recommend getting a job with one of your professors over the summer. Some colleges have unofficial 'pre-REU' programs where they can set you up with a prof at your school or a nearby one to do research, often paid. This is great experience for getting an REU the next year - I did one of these at a local university after my freshman year of college. I went in with only intro physics and astronomy courses, but I learned a lot and got into 5 REU programs the next summer with that experience. And take a programming class! Most REUs will require some degree of computer knowledge, and they'd rather not have to teach you all of it.

Welcome from a fellow Stony Brook student and someone who just completed an REU!
An REU is a great experience and I would make every effort to get into one. You can certainly get into an REU as a freshmen, although it is very difficult. I know someone who got into Texas A&M's program as a freshmen and had a great time. I can't say I know of any others of the top of my head. Your best bet will be to go through the list on the NSF website and essentially apply to all the ones you are qualified for.
A tip for admission--being in an REU I have learned the importance of letters of recommendations. It is perhaps the most important aspect of your application. Get to know some professors at SB. In fact, the math faculty are probably my favorite part of SB. Professors are very knowledgeable, but still approachable.
Good luck!

Remember to diversify. The NSF REUs are great, no doubt, but I'm doing a kind of REU-equivalent in England right now. There's always international programs to do summer research that you get paid for. And yes, housing and travel costs are usually covered.

But yeah get involved in research early. You definitely need programming experience in some form or another and definitely need to take courses relevant to whatever REU you want. Of course, there are elements of randomness involved and you may wind up not getting the REU despite perfect qualifications.

Research done, coursework, labwork (sometimes people forget to market what they've learned in lab, that can probably rate as high as coursework, if not moreso), programming experience, letters of recommendation. I'd probably rank them in terms of importance like that.

Ai52487963 said:
Remember to diversify. The NSF REUs are great, no doubt, but I'm doing a kind of REU-equivalent in England right now. There's always international programs to do summer research that you get paid for. And yes, housing and travel costs are usually covered.

Is that the summer research position at UCL? I heard about that, and it seems to be one of a kind over here...

Thanks for the advice and the help. I figured it would be tough to get into an REU (i did find another program run by the Department of Energy called SULI) but that's probably just as tough. Believe me, I'll be trying to contact some professors for research, for the summer like a pre-REU or for the spring semester once i get settled in. Meh, either way I guess I'll have a bunch of applications and contacting to do.
I'll be honest, I find it a little odd being a freshman and having to ask for LORs again (i dealt with some a**es in HS) especially since none of the professors will know me that well. I doubt I'm the only one dealing with this and definitely not the first but its still a little odd. Either way, thanks again

FAQ: REU/anything useful after freshman year

1. What is an REU program and how can it benefit me as a freshman?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to participate in research projects at universities or research institutions. As a freshman, participating in an REU can provide you with hands-on research experience, mentorship from faculty and graduate students, and the opportunity to network with other researchers in your field of interest. It can also enhance your resume and help you stand out when applying for internships, graduate school, or future research opportunities.

2. Are there any specific eligibility requirements for participating in an REU program as a freshman?

Each REU program may have its own eligibility requirements, but in general, most programs are open to all undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Some programs may also require that you have completed a certain number of college credits or have a minimum GPA. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements for each program you are interested in and make sure you meet all of the criteria before applying.

3. Can I participate in an REU program even if I am not majoring in a STEM field?

While many REU programs do focus on STEM fields, there are also programs available in social sciences, humanities, and other areas. Some programs may also be interdisciplinary and welcome students from various majors. It is important to carefully review the program descriptions to see if your field of interest is included and if you meet the eligibility requirements.

4. What should I expect from an REU program as a freshman?

As a freshman, you can expect to gain valuable research experience, learn new skills, and work closely with faculty and graduate students. You may also have the opportunity to present your research at conferences or publish your findings. Keep in mind that an REU program can be intense and requires a significant time commitment, so be prepared to dedicate your time and energy to the program.

5. How can I find and apply to REU programs as a freshman?

The best way to find and apply to REU programs is to start by talking to your professors and advisors. They may have information about programs in your field of interest or be able to connect you with other resources. You can also search for programs on the National Science Foundation's website or through other research databases. When applying, make sure to carefully follow the instructions and submit all required materials before the deadline.