Express the given vector in terms of its coordinates

In summary, the problem is asking for the vector from the origin to the end point of the vector from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4). To solve this, you add the coordinates of the given vector (-3,7,2) to the coordinates of the vector in the direction and with the length of u (2, -3, 4). This results in the vector (-1, 4, 6). It is important to understand the concept of adding vectors and the difference between points and vectors in order to successfully solve this problem.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Express the given vector in terms of its coordinates:

The vector from the origin to the end point of the vector from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know the algorithm for solving this problem. Looking at the solution manual and the other questions it looks like you subtract the second vector from the first, so that would be

0 - -3 = 3
0 - 7 = -7
0 - 2 = -2

So the new vector is 3, -7, -2

Then, I'm just guessing that you subtract that from u

2 -3 = -1
3 - -7 = 10
4 - -2 = 6

The book says the answer is -1, 4, 6 so I'm almost right but it would be great to know the algorithm for how to solve these problems since the book is rather vague there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:
The vector from the origin to the end point of the vector from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4)

Your question isn't very clear. Type it exactly as it appears in your book.

Screenshot2012-05-10at50103PM.png

hi robertjford80! :smile:
robertjford80 said:
… the end point of the vector from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4)

so that vector starts at (-3,7,2) and you add (2,-3,4) to it

(and you got a -3 instead of a 3)

ok, thanks.

robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

Express the given vector in terms of its coordinates:

The vector "from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4)" ends at the point (-3+ 2, 7+ (-3), 2+ 4)= (-1, 4, 6).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know the algorithm for solving this problem. Looking at the solution manual and the other questions it looks like you subtract the second vector from the first, so that would be

0 - -3 = 3
0 - 7 = -7
0 - 2 = -2

So the new vector is 3, -7, -2
Then, I'm just guessing that you subtract that from u

2 -3 = -1
3 - -7 = 10
4 - -2 = 6

The book says the answer is -1, 4, 6 so I'm almost right but it would be great to know the algorithm for how to solve these problems since the book is rather vague there.
Frankly, I am concerned about your reference to knowing "the algorithm" and "just guessing". Knowing what these concepts mean, drawing a picture, and thinking about the problem should be your approach.

HallsofIvy said:
Frankly, I am concerned about your reference to knowing "the algorithm" and "just guessing". Knowing what these concepts mean, drawing a picture, and thinking about the problem should be your approach.

I'm concerned about it too. First learn how, then learn why. Learning why is five times harder than learning how. I went through about 6 chapters of calc before I really understood what a derivative was.

robertjford80 said:
… it would be great to know the algorithm for how to solve these problems …

i think your difficulty is with english, not with maths …

just read the question carefully, and you'll see that it tells you, in english, what maths to do …

"the vector from P and with the direction and length of u" means exactly what it says, start at P and add u :wink:

math is not English.

yes it is!

every maths equation that you write (or read) should make perfect sense if translated carefully into english :smile:

if x requires translation than x is not english

same language, different alphabet :smile:

(maths is like shorthand :wink:)

robertjford80 said:
if x requires translation than x is not english
So if a person translates "Hamlet" into French then Hamlet was not in English to begin with? Here tiny-tim is referring to translating the problem, as given in English, to "mathematics".

Specifically, he is referring to your taking "vector from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4)" and deciding that it should be written as (0- (-3), 0-7, 0-2) which is, in fact, the vector from (-3, 7, 2) to (0, 0, 0).

The "vector from (-3,7,2) in the direction and with the length of u = (2, -3, 4)" is (-3+ 2, 7+(-3), 2+ 4)= (-1, 4, 6). Notice, by the way, that (-3, 7, 2) is a point while (2, -3, 4) is a vector. I prefer to write vectors as <2, -3, 4> to make it easier to distinguish between points and vectors.

1. What does "express the given vector in terms of its coordinates" mean?

Expressing a vector in terms of its coordinates means representing the vector using its horizontal and vertical components, also known as its x and y coordinates.

2. How do I find the coordinates of a vector?

To find the coordinates of a vector, identify the starting and ending points of the vector on a graph and measure the horizontal and vertical distances between them. These distances will be the x and y components of the vector's coordinates.

3. Can a vector have more than two coordinates?

No, a vector in two-dimensional space can only have two coordinates - an x and y component. In three-dimensional space, a vector will have three coordinates - x, y, and z components.

4. Why is it important to express a vector in terms of its coordinates?

Expressing a vector in terms of its coordinates allows us to easily manipulate and analyze the vector mathematically. It also helps us to better visualize and understand the direction and magnitude of the vector.

5. What is the difference between expressing a vector in terms of its coordinates and in terms of its magnitude and direction?

Expressing a vector in terms of its coordinates means representing it using its x and y components, while expressing it in terms of its magnitude and direction means representing it using its length and angle. Both methods convey the same information about the vector, but they use different mathematical representations.