Buying a Laptop for Use in America - What Do I Need to Know?

• Thread starter Cybersteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the speaker is planning to buy a new laptop with low specs for £500-£600 and take it with them to America in October. They are wondering if they just need an adapter or a different transformer to charge it there. They are also considering buying a laptop in America but are unsure about duties and taxes. They mention that their current adapter can work with both US and European voltages. They also mention that sales tax in California is high but in Nevada there is none. They ultimately decide to buy the laptop in the UK so they can have it with them during travel delays.
Cybersteve
I'm going to buy a new laptop within the next few days. I only need a low spec so I expect to pay about £500 -£600.

However I'm also going to America at the end of October so I'd like to take it with me. Do I just need an adaptor to charge it up over there, I assume it will take longer, or will I need a different transformer?

Also would I be better waiting and buying one from America, I think they're cheaper over there but does that include duties/taxes?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The adapter for my laptop takes either US 120VAC/60Hz or European 220VAC/50Hz. You will need a plug adapter so you can use our small plug socket

Depends where you buy it over here. Its going to be cheaper obviously, but depending on where you buy it from, the taxes compared to the UK might be only 50% less or you may pay no taxes at all depending on which state you buy it from. Here in California, sales tax (what you would call VAT) is almost hte highest in the nation at about 8% on average ... but, for example, next door in Nevada, they don't even have a sales tax!

Thanks guys,
I'll look and see if the adaptor is switchable before I buy. I've decided to buy in the UK, which means I can spend more time in Florida at the theme parks and I'll have my laptop with me for when we're delayed at the airport waiting for hurricane Ziggy to blow over!

1. What is the best brand of laptop to buy for use in America?

There are many popular laptop brands in America, so the best one depends on your personal needs and preferences. Some of the top brands include Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Microsoft. Research each brand and compare their features, prices, and customer reviews to determine which one is the best fit for you.

2. Do I need to consider the voltage and power supply when buying a laptop for use in America?

Yes, it is important to consider the voltage and power supply when buying a laptop for use in America. The standard voltage in America is 120V, so make sure your laptop is compatible with this voltage. You may also need to purchase a voltage converter if your laptop is not compatible.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in a laptop for use in America?

Some important features to consider when buying a laptop for use in America include the processor speed, RAM, storage capacity, and graphics card. It is also important to consider the size and weight of the laptop if you plan on traveling with it. Additionally, make sure the laptop has a reliable internet connection and is compatible with any necessary software.

4. Do I need to purchase any additional accessories for my laptop in America?

This depends on your specific needs and the type of laptop you purchase. Some accessories that may be beneficial to have include a laptop bag or case, a mouse, and a surge protector. You may also need to purchase adapters for different types of plugs and outlets in America.

5. Is there a warranty for laptops purchased in America?

Most reputable laptop brands offer a warranty for their products. Make sure to check the warranty policy before purchasing a laptop and consider purchasing additional coverage if needed. Additionally, it is important to keep your receipt and any necessary paperwork in case you need to make a warranty claim in the future.