Challenging integral with exponential functions

In summary, an integral with exponential functions is a type of indefinite integral that involves the integration of a function with an exponential term. These integrals can be challenging to solve due to their complex nature and the properties of exponential functions. Some techniques for solving them include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. They have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. To improve your skills in solving these integrals, practice and familiarize yourself with the properties and various integration techniques.
Devon79

Homework Statement

I'm unable to integrate the following function with respect to x [-inf, +inf]:

Homework Equations

exp(y*x)*(1+exp(x))^(-n)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to expand the function by distributing the exponent (-n) across the rightmost product, but I don't think its possible. Does a clever substitution method exist?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Indefinite integral?

You can try some sort of induction argument. Integration by parts: eyx and dx/(1+ex)n probably gives you something based on the integral of [tex]\frac{e^{yx}}{(1+e^x)^{n-1}}[/tex]

1. What is an integral with exponential functions?

An integral with exponential functions is a mathematical expression that involves the integration of a function containing an exponential term. It is a type of indefinite integral that can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

2. Why are challenging integrals with exponential functions difficult to solve?

Challenging integrals with exponential functions can be difficult to solve because they involve complex functions, making it challenging to find an analytical solution. In addition, the properties of exponential functions, such as their rapid growth and decay, make it challenging to integrate them using traditional methods.

3. What are some techniques for solving challenging integrals with exponential functions?

Some techniques for solving challenging integrals with exponential functions include using substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. These techniques allow us to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrals with exponential functions?

Integrals with exponential functions have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and investment growth. They are also essential in calculating areas under curves in various scientific and engineering fields.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving challenging integrals with exponential functions?

To improve your skills in solving challenging integrals with exponential functions, practice is key. Familiarize yourself with the properties of exponential functions and different integration techniques. Additionally, seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help strengthen your understanding and skills in this area.