Integral of a Recursive Function

In summary, the integral given can be solved by making the substitution y=x/delta and using integration by parts. The final answer is delta times alpha+1, where alpha is the exponent in the original integral. This solution makes use of the Gamma function.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

Find the following:

$$ \int_0^\inf \frac{x^{a+1}e^{-x/\delta}}{\delta^{a+1}\Gamma(a+1)} dx; \, a > 1 , \delta >0 , 0 \leq x \leq \inf$$

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The numerator in the integral is constant, so it can be taken outside the integral. I then attempted to solve the numerator through integration by parts.

Letting
$$u=x ; du =dx$$
$$ dv = e^{-x/ \delta}dx ; v = -\delta e^{-x/ \delta} $$

I get the following:

$$\frac{1}{\delta^{a+1}\Gamma(a+1)} \cdot ( -\delta x^{a+1}e^{-x\delta} + \delta \int_0^\inf (a+1)x^{a} e^{-x/\delta}dx)$$

I can see that the integral will keep on iterating for ever, so any ideas on how I can solve this?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the simple substitution ##u:=\frac{x}{\delta}## does the job. You will get a constant factor and ##\Gamma(a+2)## in the numerator.

Last edited:
Likes CivilSigma
CivilSigma said:

Homework Statement

Find the following:

$$ \int_0^\inf \frac{x^{a+1}e^{-x/\delta}}{\delta^{a+1}\Gamma(a+1)} dx; \, a > 1 , \delta >0 , 0 \leq x \leq \inf$$

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The numerator in the integral is constant, so it can be taken outside the integral. I then attempted to solve the numerator through integration by parts.

Letting
$$u=x ; du =dx$$
$$ dv = e^{-x/ \delta}dx ; v = -\delta e^{-x/ \delta} $$

I get the following:

$$\frac{1}{\delta^{a+1}\Gamma(a+1)} \cdot ( -\delta x^{a+1}e^{-x\delta} + \delta \int_0^\inf (a+1)x^{a} e^{-x/\delta}dx)$$

I can see that the integral will keep on iterating for ever, so any ideas on how I can solve this?

Thank you !

Change variables until you can put your integral in the form ##\int_0^\infty y^{a+1} e^{-y} \, dy.## That is an integral that can be evaluated algebraically if ##a \geq 0## is an integer; for other values of ##a## it is not an elementary function, but is a well-known, standard mathematical function nevertheless.

BTW: if you want the ##\infty## sign in LaTeX, just write "\infty"; writing "inf" (without the backslash) won't work, and inserting a backslash to get "\inf" produces ##\inf##, which is the mathematical shorthand symbol for the word "infimum".

Likes CivilSigma
Thank you guys ! I solved the integral after making the substitution y =x/delta and integrating by parts twice.

The final answer I got is:

$$ \delta \cdot (\alpha+1)$$

I never knew about the Gamma function! It's very convenient to say the least :)

1. What is the definition of an integral of a recursive function?

The integral of a recursive function is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under the curve of the function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is the integral of a recursive function different from a regular integral?

The integral of a recursive function is different from a regular integral in that it involves a recursive relationship between the function and its derivative. This means that the value of the integral at a certain point depends on the value of the integral at previous points.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral of a recursive function?

The purpose of finding the integral of a recursive function is to solve problems that involve accumulation or finding the total change of a quantity over time. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How is the integral of a recursive function calculated?

The integral of a recursive function is calculated using a recursive formula or by using numerical integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and approximating the area under the curve using a series of smaller rectangles or trapezoids.

5. What are some real-life applications of the integral of a recursive function?

The integral of a recursive function has many real-life applications, including calculating the total distance traveled by a moving object, finding the total amount of a drug in a patient's system over time, and determining the total cost of a loan or investment with compound interest. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and computer science to model and analyze complex systems.