A typical motion question (am I correct?)

• Thread starter Hadjiev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a helicopter is rescuing a boy from a flooded street. The helicopter hovers 20 m in the air and lowers a cable to the child, accelerating upwards at a rate of 0.2 m/s^2. After 8 seconds, the cable snaps and the boy falls to the ground. The conversation then goes on to discuss the boy's velocity and distance traveled, ultimately determining that he was traveling at a speed of 11.31 m/s or 41 km/h when he landed. The conversation also confirms that the logic used in the calculations is correct.
Hadjiev
Hey, I was wondering if someone could check my answer for this question:

A helicopter is rescuing a boy from a flooded street. Hovering 20 m in the air, a cable is lowered to the child. After it is attached, the helicopter begins to accelerate upwards at 0.2 m/s^2. Eight seconds later, the rope snaps and the child plunges to the ground. How fast (in km/h) was the child traveling when he landed?

Helicopter:

a = 0.2m/s^2
t = 8s
v1 = 0 (I figured since he is hovering)

Boy:
v1 =
d =
a = 9.8m/s^2

I started by calculating the overall distance the helicopter traveled; it came out to 6.4 m, which makes it 26.4 m in the air. The boy must then be 6.4 m off the ground, and thus his fall is a total of 6.4 m.

Then I calculated the final speed of the helicopter. I figured that the final speed of the helicopter should be the initial speed of the boy. This came out to 1.6m/s

At this point I have the distance of the boy's fall, his acceleration, and his initial velocity (it turned out to be negative, due to direction).

I subbed in acc, v1, and d into v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad and got an answer of 11.31 m/s, which ends up being 41 km/h.

Is my logic correct? Thanks in advance,

Nicholas

Physics news on Phys.org
What is v1 in the equation - v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad.

Your logic regarding the altitude of 6.4 m and the boys velocity 1.6 m/s is correct.

At the point the cable breaks, the boys begins to decelerate, from 1.6 m/s until he stops, V=0, at which point he achieves maximum altitude. Then the boy accelerates downward to the ground.

Ack! I forgot about the upward motion. Thanks Astronuc.

Related to A typical motion question (am I correct?)

1. What is a typical motion question?

A typical motion question is a question that involves the motion or movement of an object or system. It can include questions about speed, velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How do you solve a typical motion question?

To solve a typical motion question, you will need to use the appropriate equations and formulas, such as the equations of motion, to determine the unknown variable. You will also need to carefully read and understand the given information and units.

3. What are the main types of motion?

The main types of motion are linear, circular, and projectile motion. Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path, and projectile motion is when an object is projected into the air and moves in a curved path due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a motion question?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed does not take into account direction, while velocity does.

5. How does acceleration affect motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing, which means its motion is changing. The direction of acceleration also affects the direction of the object's motion.