If AP Environmental Science is looked down upon, should I take it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's course options for their junior and senior years, specifically focusing on science courses. They are considering taking Chemistry Honors, AP Biology, and AP Environmental Science, but are unsure if the information learned in each class would be useful for the others. They also question whether taking AP Environmental Science, which is considered an "easy" AP, would be beneficial for their academic and SAT skills. The conversation also touches on the idea of balancing rigorous courses with hobbies and activities that cannot be put on a college application. Finally, the conversation ends with the speaker contemplating taking AP Environmental Science instead of AP Stats, AP Computer Science, or AP Music Theory for their last class option.
AznBoi
I'm planning on taking 3 of the following science courses next year:

Chemistry Honors (Highest Chem course at our school)
AP Biology
AP Enivronmental Science

This year, I'm taking AP Physics B and I have A's for both semesters.
I also have some other choices- AP Stats, AP Music Theory, AP Computer Science that could be chosen in place of APES.

Would some of the information learned in each be useful for the other classes? I heard that APES is a bit of everything including chemistry and biology. In that case, should I take APES even though it is considered the "easy" AP? Do most competitive colleges just unweight the extra 1.0 GPA or what? From what I've heard, most people self-study this course instead. Why/why not should I take AP Environmental Science?

I have fair interested in the subject and it would probably help improve my reading and writing skills (which I need for the SAT). I loved Biology this year

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, should junior courses be more rigorous than senior courses? I have the following senior courses mapped out:

AP English
AP Econ
AP Amer. Govt.
AP Comp Sci.
AP Music Theory (mabye)
AP Stats (if enough people sign up for it)

Since I'm planning to take Chemistry Honors in my junior year and the same teacher teaches AP Comp Sci (he doesn't teach at all and gives hard tests/quizzes), it would be a better idea to take the classes in different years right? That way, if I really do hate his teaching style, I'll be free from more stress than if I took both of the classes together. He is the ONLY person who teaches both classes... unfortunately. =[

I don't know anyone who's taken AP environmental science. But if the material interests you - you should take the course!

PS - there are bad teachers and hard tests all through college. (but there are lots of good teachers too!) So don't sweat the chem/cs. It'll be good practice for real life.

PPS - you sound like a pretty boring person. Your academic interests are "getting into a good college" and your hobbies are "getting into a good college". I think you should spend some more time doing activities that you can't put on your college application - cook dinner for your family? shovel the neighbour's sidewalk? put wacky lights on your car? lie on your back in warm grass? That way, when you get to college, you might not be quite so insufferable.

AP Environmental Science is viewed as I understand it to be kind of a nonsense AP test. I know of some kids who were able to take the test without taking the course and pass.

Why don't you take AP Calculus and AP Physics C. As I understand it as well Stats is not very challenging.

oedipa maas has good advice get some hobbies and have some fun. It's great to be competitive but its not the end of the world if you don't make 98's and take every AP class.

In my school, APES is looked down upon because its basically for the people who couldn't get into AP Bio. They usually underestimate the exam and do poorly on it. From what I hear, its hard to get a 5

Yowhatsupt said:
AP Environmental Science is viewed as I understand it to be kind of a nonsense AP test. I know of some kids who were able to take the test without taking the course and pass.

Why don't you take AP Calculus and AP Physics C. As I understand it as well Stats is not very challenging.

oedipa maas has good advice get some hobbies and have some fun. It's great to be competitive but its not the end of the world if you don't make 98's and take every AP class.

I am talking AP Calculus next year. Our school doesn't offer Physics C. I have 1 class option left and here are my only choices: APES (I like learning about life in general, had a great time learning Bio this year) , AP Stats (seems pretty boring to me), AP Comp Sci (wanting to take this senior year), and AP Music Theory (planning to take this senior year). So should I take APES instead of taking my other options, regular classes or no class at all? It seems like it would help my Chem H and AP Bio a lot. Is this true?

1. Is AP Environmental Science a worthwhile course to take?

Yes, AP Environmental Science is a valuable course to take for students interested in the environment, sustainability, and careers in environmental science or related fields.

2. Will taking AP Environmental Science impact my college admissions chances negatively?

No, taking AP Environmental Science will not negatively impact your college admissions chances. In fact, colleges often look favorably upon students who challenge themselves by taking AP courses.

3. Is AP Environmental Science considered a "hard" class?

The difficulty of AP Environmental Science may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. However, like all AP courses, it is designed to be challenging and rigorous, but also rewarding.

4. What skills will I gain from taking AP Environmental Science?

By taking AP Environmental Science, you will develop critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills that are applicable to a variety of fields. You will also gain a deeper understanding of environmental issues and their impact on our world.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP Environmental Science?

There are no specific prerequisites for AP Environmental Science, but a strong foundation in biology and chemistry is recommended. It is also helpful to have a genuine interest in the environment and a willingness to learn and engage in the course material.