Abstact math help, function proof

In summary, the homework statement is trying to prove that if b and c are distinct elements of Y, then Yb intersection Yc=∅. However, the student is unsure how to do this and is having trouble with the proof.
beatka6
Abstact math help, function proof!

Homework Statement

Let f : X to Y . For each element b element of Y , let Y_b = f^-1({b}). Prove that the Y_b's
have the following property:
(a) If b and c are distinct elements of Y , then Yb intersection Yc = ∅.
(b) X =U_element of Y ( Yb).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well a) we know that b≠c, but we have to prove that Y_b n Y_c is an empty set. I know it have to be an empty set becase Y_b=f^-1({b}) and Y_c=f^-1({c}); so it Y_b n Y_c would not be empty then f is not a function. But I don't know how to prove it.
b) X is a union of Y_b - I have no idea how to even start. I submitted pdf file.

Attachments

• 8501153771041.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org

You have to show a particular y_1 \in Y and another particular y_2 \in Y, (since Y is the domain of the inverse here), show that they project uniquely to an element of the codomain (X-here), that the pairs exists and are unique. The other part, that y_1 and y_2 are not equal you already kind of have, you just left out some verbiage

Part B : Have you gone over Partitions of sets yet? That definition would be immensely helpful to you.

No, the problem is that we did not go over anything, the teacher does not explain anything and I am trying to figure it out myself. From my previous class I know something about inverse function, but only enough to find an inverse of given function and to find out if it is one to one or onto. So that would be :
Let y_1 be an element of Y, and y_2 be an element of Y, but y_1 does not equal y_2. So can I say that assume y_1=f^-1({b}) and y_2=f^-1({c}) ? If I can say that then what would be the next step?

I understand it's frustrating. We've all been there. Proofs like this really can be quite enjoyable once you get the hang of it.

You're on the right track. Does your instructor knock a lot of points off for technical Proof Formatting? If so, make SURE you lay your proof out correctly to start with - it will also make it easier to compose your thoughts. My guess is that you may be a bit unsure how to lay things out which may be causing some of your angst.

It should look like this:

Proof:
Let...(everything that's given in the INITIAL premise - after the "2." on your attachment sheet) -leave out the part that says "Prove...following property"

Next, you'll write:
Let b & c \in (are elements of) Y

...Now, what you have to SHOW (through your writing) is that Y_b not equal to Y_c--that inequality will be your ending to Part A's Proof.

From here: (like you had) WRITE - something along the lines of "From our premise, f is a function from X to Y, such that...a in X --> b in Y (use your symbols properly though)
==> (a,b) in F
Then: (can you go on here?) You are given that F^-1(b), where b is in Y, so you KNOW that f inverse is f^-1: Y-->X

---That implies two properties of the function F --- Give it a shot

---one more hint. You'll need to show not that f(a)=w and f(b)=v, but rather IF f(a)=w=f(b), then "a" MUST equal "b" by definition.

Try to clean up what you have and make sure to stick to the definitions of functions, inverse etc.

Keep trying!

beatka6 said:
Well a) we know that b≠c, but we have to prove that Y_b n Y_c is an empty set. I know it have to be an empty set becase Y_b=f^-1({b}) and Y_c=f^-1({c}); so it Y_b n Y_c would not be empty then f is not a function. But I don't know how to prove it.

For (a) you have exactly the right idea, you just need to lay out the argument.

Suppose f_1(a) intersect f_1(b) is not empty.

Then there exists an element x in f_1(a) intersect f_1(b).

That means x is is an element of EACH of _____ and _______.

But then what is f(x)? It must be both _____ and ______. But that's impossible because f is a function.

Thank you all, I got it now

1. What is abstract math?

Abstract math, also known as pure math or theoretical math, deals with concepts and structures rather than specific numbers and equations. It involves using logic and deductive reasoning to prove theorems and understand abstract concepts.

2. What is the purpose of abstract math?

The purpose of abstract math is to study fundamental mathematical concepts and structures in their most abstract form. It helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and provides a foundation for other branches of math and science.

3. How is abstract math different from other types of math?

Unlike other branches of math that focus on solving specific problems, abstract math deals with broader and more general concepts. It is not limited to real-life applications and can be applied to various fields, including physics, computer science, and economics.

4. What is a function proof in abstract math?

A function proof is a mathematical argument that shows how a certain function behaves or operates. It involves using logical steps and mathematical principles to demonstrate that a specific function satisfies a given set of conditions or properties.

5. How can I improve my skills in abstract math?

To improve your skills in abstract math, it is essential to practice regularly and work on challenging problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced mathematicians, attend workshops or seminars, and read books and articles related to abstract math.